Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Okay, I have a 1988 Sea Ray Sundancer 270. The acc. panel at the cockpit has a switch labeled "Windlass" but here is my problem.

The bow anchor hold is covered by a hinged deck hatch. This is the only way to access the anchor hold. The "hole" for the anchor rode/line to come out of is in this hatch. Immediately forward of this hatch is the teak pulpit. Behind the hatch is already the ceiling for the forward cabin. Does anyone know of a windlass that I can use on my boat? I have been to Boat/US and they tell me there is no windlass that can fit on the hatch and SAFELY work, that they know of. I am waiting to hear back from Sea Ray. Since there is a switch on the panel for one, I am guessing that there is something available. Anyone heard of anything?

Jim

I will have a picture(s) of the area by this evening if it will help describe the area.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are two pictures of what I am talking about. First is just of the hatch and the room I have, second is of the hatch open. Any suggestions or ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Got my answer from Sea Ray. Life really sucks sometimes.

The 1988 270 Sundancer would have been equipped with a Benson windlass as an option. Benson has since gone out of business. The boat equipped with a windlass from the factory would have the teak pulpit board extended back over the hatch that you describe and the windlass would have been installed through the teak. Access to the rope storage area would have only been possible from inside the boat. Obviously, the teak pulpit board would have been sealed over the opening and strong enough to support the pull of the automatic windlass. The teak pulpit board is no longer available from us for these models.

Any one have any ideas? Wife (FullThrottle) would like to go out on her own sometime's but cant handle the anchor and the boat single handedly.

Jim

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'mnot familiar with Earl's. Aanyone have a number or address? I'll be out there friday morning.

I replied to Sea Ray and here is their reply, in part......

I'm imagining a 3/4" white mica covered board (or something similar ) that could withstand the pull of the windlass. We are currently using a Lofrans low profile windlass that uses a rope/chain combination there is 200' of 5/8" rope with 25' of chain attached to the anchor.

Anyone familair with this windlass?

Thanks,
Jim

·
12,052 Posts
Earl's is on South River Road at Jefferson, right next to West Marine. Entrance in the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts