Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What preparations does the heat/AC system require for off-season storage?

Does the system gravity drain???

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll have to say no on the gravity drain. I myself would first of all is close the water pickup valve and open the strainer and run the ac/heat water pump and pour your antifreeze in the strainer and it will suck it thru and discharge it out the side of your boat drain. When you see the color of it turn red then you are done. Also pour some redpop in the unit tray so the condensation drain is winterize also.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
At the recommendation of other people, for the past 2 seasons I've just poured red pop in the outlet until it pours out the water pickup on the bottom of the boat. With a little bit of clear tubing and a funnel you're all set.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I wouldn't have guessed that fluid will freely back-flow through the A/C seawater pump, but pouring antifreeze in the outlet sounds like an easy/good way to know it's thoroughly flushed. If for some reason that doesn't work, I'll use the sea strainer approach.

Now, if only I could liquify myself to fit down in the bilge!

I've been assuming the A/C condensation drained into the same sump as the shower. Is that not right? Anyone know for sure on a 98 330 Sundancer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
QUOTE(spacelord @ Sep 23 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the recommendation of other people, for the past 2 seasons I've just poured red pop in the outlet until it pours out the water pickup on the bottom of the boat. With a little bit of clear tubing and a funnel you're all set.
Exactly what I do. I pull the strainer first and dump out the water, then pour red pop thru the outlet.

·
12,052 Posts
I have usually run the pump while pouring red pop in shile the boat was in the water, but also suggested pouring it in the outlet after the boat is out. I have also used a compressor and blown the water out from the outlets too.

on my boat both compressors drain into the 2 shower sump pumps.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As an afterthought when loading up the truck, I brought along my vacuum pump. The kind often used for differential oil, etc. It's about the size of a grease gun, and has a hose on one and, and the t-handle on the other.

I began by pushing anti freeze into the A/C drain, and realized it was flowing so easily with the hand pump, I was able to push all the water out. After only air came out the pickup, I went back to drawing red pop into the gun, and pumping it into the outlet. Soon red pop came out the seawater pick up. Continued adding antifreeze until I was confident the sea strainer was full. Used almost a gallon.

Thanks again for the tips! I'd have never guessed that liquid would freely back-flow through the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.