Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new TV and am not sure which direction to go. I like the picture quality of a tube, but the largest is only 36".

Rear projetions are great when watching DVDs, but quality dimishes when watching regular cable/dish.

Widescreens are also excellent for DVDs, but strech cable to fit. This distorts the picture.

Help, I'm confused and need advice. I would like to keep it less than $2k so plasma is out.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Tesh Private Message Manana.
He recently purchased a new TV.
Very Sweet ! Big Screen

Also captpeglegg has projection monitors High Quality

And hammer is the electronic hook up man here also.

Good Luck

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Tesch @ Sep 23 2003, 06:31 PM)Widescreens are also excellent for DVDs, but strech cable to fit. This distorts the picture.

Help, I'm confused and need advice. I would like to keep it less than $2k so plasma is out.

Thanks for any help.
RCA 38" Widescreen HDTV picture tube:

http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPF-RCA_F38310

http://www.bestphotovideo.com/store/rca_f38310.html

I wanted to get that one, but it was 2" too wide to fit in my entertainment center.

And, as for watching cable TV, you can select ANY widescreen TV to NOT stretch the picture. You'll just have blank spaces on the left and right sides of the screen, just like when you watch widescreen movies on a 4:3 TV and you have the black bars....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Last two TV's have been Toshiba Cinema View. First was a HDTV ready 53" "normal" screen, but it was in the basement and when the people who bought the house offered to buy the TV, I jumped on it (268 pounds)!! Second is a 42" widescreen, with the ability to view several different widescreen modes. Some modes stretch more than others, but you can choose the best for you. Also HDTV ready. First was about 1700.00. Second was about 1500.00

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have the solution!!! Buy me one of each and I will let you know after I try them out for about 1 year!!!

Good plan huh?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you really want big, why not get a front projector? I like the look of a football game on a 100" screen.
And as far as movies go, you'll think you're at AMC.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
I have a 53 toshiba Cinima view HD love the tv, inless you are getting a high def signal DVD will look better no matter what the brand or type. So far there are not many channels in High Def and it depends on your sat or cable co if you can recieve them. pbs, ABC and I think NBC brodcast high def that can be picked up by a regular TV antenna.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
We have all of the above. The rear projection big screen (48") is the one we watch for everyday type television and our picture is nice and clear. We have a (20") tube in the bedroom not much to say on that (We have DirectTV on those). We have overhead front projection with an 8 ft. screen in the theater Wonderful for watching movies and football on. Haven't gotten the HD yet but have seen the qaulity. Depends on what your watching. Movies are the best in front projection. In my oppinion. Wouldn't watch them any other way.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Sep 24 2003, 07:39 AM)We have overhead front projection with an 8 ft. screen in the theater Wonderful for watching movies and football on.
LSCN Super Bowl party at Tango/bikinigirl's place!!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Sep 24 2003, 07:45 AM)I think it's cute that you still refer to it in INCHES!

Who are you talking to?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Sep 23 2003, 05:43 PM)Tesh Private Message Manana.
He recently purchased a new TV.
Very Sweet ! Big Screen

Also captpeglegg has projection monitors High Quality

And hammer is the electronic hook up man here also.

Good Luck
After researching for about 6 months I ended up with the Hitachi 57" HDTV Widescreen. VERY PLEASED! The picture quality is outstanding. I also was considering a tube TV...my old one was a Mitubishi 35"...it is still in perfect condition, however I wanted to go bigger. Hitatchi has 3 product lines...good, better, best. I purchased the Hitatchi Director Series that has the HDTV tuner built into the TV. I only opted for this because I was able to get Sargent Appliance and Circuit City in a price war. I so lucked out and got a great deal. I spent a lot of time on Hitatchi. com and researched different features. Plasma was also a consideration but I am waiting until the price drops. Hitachi was rated very high and got great reviews from various sources. If you go with a wide screen...Make Sure You Get the Extended Warranty...its well worth it! Large screen TV's are very sensative and sometimes need adjustments made, as well as cleaning the lenses. I hope this helps....good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a 50" Toshiba Cinema Series HDTV Widescreen and it rocks!! Also comcast has high def cable for only $5.00 more a month for the box. NBC,ABC,FOX,ESPN,2 PBS Channels and 2 new HD channels are now on, plus there is a HD HBO and SHOWTIME if you pay for them. No way would I get the dish for HD right now as the cheapest box it $500.00 plus you need the better dish too.

Trust me even my wife is amazed at how clear Monday Night Football is in High Def compared to the regular station.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts