Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was browsing the net hen i ran across a tool at harborbor freight that you hook to a 20lb propane tank and you can use it to refill your small 16.4oz tanks. Take a look yo could save alot of money.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bought that adapter a couple of years ago and it only works ok, you have to watch refilling the no name brand tanks (non-coleman) because the check valve in them is not of great quality and th propane will leak out while the tank is sitting, had many of them leak completely empty in one night of sitting in my truck. You best bet is either haul a 10# or 20# tank out there and buy a hose that connects tank to the heater (at walmart about 20 bucks). You can also buy a fuel filter to hook directly to the heater. I tank a 20# tank out on my shantey, go fishing at least 2-3 times a week for at least 6 hours each time and I am still on the original tank I filled at the end of December.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Jan 30 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been using one for many years now. Works just great. Warm the supply tank and freeze the receiving tank to get them full.

thats how I fill mine too but the only draw back is when your big tank gets close to empty it only fills the smaller tanks about have way

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(weakender @ Jan 30 2010, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(walleye mike @ Jan 30 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been using one for many years now. Works just great. Warm the supply tank and freeze the receiving tank to get them full.

thats how I fill mine too but the only draw back is when your big tank gets close to empty it only fills the smaller tanks about have way

The real trick is to turn the tank you're filling from upside down so you fill it with LIQUID propane instead of propane gas. I haven't noticed any difference in what tanks I've used.

·
Registered
474 Posts
QUOTE(BuckHunter @ Jan 30 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bought that adapter a couple of years ago and it only works ok, you have to watch refilling the no name brand tanks (non-coleman) because the check valve in them is not of great quality and th propane will leak out while the tank is sitting, had many of them leak completely empty in one night of sitting in my truck. You best bet is either haul a 10# or 20# tank out there and buy a hose that connects tank to the heater (at walmart about 20 bucks). You can also buy a fuel filter to hook directly to the heater. I tank a 20# tank out on my shantey, go fishing at least 2-3 times a week for at least 6 hours each time and I am still on the original tank I filled at the end of December.

I just got a MR. HEATER "BIG BUDDY" which takes two small colmen tanks, one on each side, any ideas on where to get a 10# tank and how to use a 10# tank with it? Proably need two hose`s? Was using it today and one side ran out and to put another one in for it to work. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cabelas had one when I was there on Monday. I have saved a lot of money over the years. It seems like the price of the small propane tanks have really gone up over the last couple of years to me. I have a a couple of leakers also.

Bob

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE(fishin fool @ Jan 31 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BuckHunter @ Jan 30 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bought that adapter a couple of years ago and it only works ok, you have to watch refilling the no name brand tanks (non-coleman) because the check valve in them is not of great quality and th propane will leak out while the tank is sitting, had many of them leak completely empty in one night of sitting in my truck. You best bet is either haul a 10# or 20# tank out there and buy a hose that connects tank to the heater (at walmart about 20 bucks). You can also buy a fuel filter to hook directly to the heater. I tank a 20# tank out on my shantey, go fishing at least 2-3 times a week for at least 6 hours each time and I am still on the original tank I filled at the end of December.

I just got a MR. HEATER "BIG BUDDY" which takes two small colmen tanks, one on each side, any ideas on where to get a 10# tank and how to use a 10# tank with it? Proably need two hose`s? Was using it today and one side ran out and to put another one in for it to work. thanks for any input.

EAstside R.V. carries 10# Tanks Groesbeck south of 696. Good prices too

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey fishing fool I also have the same heater and that is why I use the 20# tank. For set up go to Walmart and in the camping stuff you'll find a 6' or so hose and an adapter to hook into the tank. You should probably get a fuel filter from Gander or Bass Pro, they say with a 10# or 20# acess moister inside the tank can get into your heater and give it problems, the filter prevents this. If you do not want to use a 20# I've talked to the hardware place on the SE corner of 21 and Gratiot before and they said they could order me a 10#. You only need to hook up one side of the heater, each side has a check valve so nothing can come out if nothing is hooked up. I know what your saying about burning up tanks, that thing cranked up on high your sitting in a 75 degree atmosphere but those little tanks last about 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
474 Posts
QUOTE(BuckHunter @ Jan 31 2010, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey fishing fool I also have the same heater and that is why I use the 20# tank. For set up go to Walmart and in the camping stuff you'll find a 6' or so hose and an adapter to hook into the tank. You should probably get a fuel filter from Gander or Bass Pro, they say with a 10# or 20# acess moister inside the tank can get into your heater and give it problems, the filter prevents this. If you do not want to use a 20# I've talked to the hardware place on the SE corner of 21 and Gratiot before and they said they could order me a 10#. You only need to hook up one side of the heater, each side has a check valve so nothing can come out if nothing is hooked up. I know what your saying about burning up tanks, that thing cranked up on high your sitting in a 75 degree atmosphere but those little tanks last about 1.5 hours.

Thanks a million, i think i have a hose that i use for hunting, just need a adapter and filter. If i only hook up to one side will both tiles light on high? thanks again.

·
Registered
474 Posts
QUOTE(BuckHunter @ Jan 31 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes both panels will light, but I find that mine needs the blower on or else the oxygen sensor will trip with both panels lit and minimul air flow is coming into the shantey

Thanks again, looks like i`ll have to stock up on D batterys.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I purchased the refill adapter recently and did some refilling this weekend. They fill best if the bottles are completely empty. Of course purging the bottles makes your gloves smell like propane for the rest of the day.

Store recently filled bottles outside for 24 hours before storing them in the garage, dont bring them into your house.

Draino

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have been filling tanks for years also. i got my adapter at harbor freight, lots cheaper to refill but some do leak. I always put the leakers on my lantern or heater then they stop leaking . the leakers get used first. LOL

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(skullboner @ Feb 1 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have been filling tanks for years also. i got my adapter at harbor freight, lots cheaper to refill but some do leak. I always put the leakers on my lantern or heater then they stop leaking . the leakers get used first. LOL

Exactly what I do, hook up any leakers to a heater or lantern right away and that stops them from leaking. I mark those tanks with a paint marker so I know in the future to be ready to hook that tank up to a heater or lantern(or whatever) right away.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(skullboner @ Feb 1 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i also keep the plastic caps and put them back on the empty tanks to keep the valve and threads clean

I give them a quick wipe with some light oil or synthetic grease. This protects the threads from moisture and rust....your biggest enemy. Then recap them, this'll keep them clean and rust free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts