Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Props by Mercruiser,

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  TripleG 
#1 ·
I just heard about this other day from Discount Marine on John R and was wondering if anyone else has tried them.

Mercury designed a new prop for it outdrives about 2/3 years ago. The blade's are a bit larger than the Michigan Wheel's and they are thicker so they flex less under power. What that means is that the boat gets on plane faster, stays on plane longer when slowing down, and gives you about 2 miles an hour faster speed, so they say. Also lowers the rpm's a bit so it is less work on the engine's and better overall performance. Also in the case like what just happened with us with the spun hub and $42.00 to fix it, with the new ones, you do it yourself for about $15.00 right on the spot. A spare prop for our boat right now, identical prop to what is on there, will run us $130.00. This new prop would run $145.00 and come with new mounting hardware. The hardware is $25.00 alone. You cant run on one of each (if you have twins) unless it was an emergency and you had to replace one on the water to get you back. But even then, just watch your synch guage and not your take and you'll be fine.

#3 ·
Discount Marine Parts on John R. at 12.5 mile in Madison Hgts. I dont have their number on hand.

The props themselves are from Mercruiser, as they are now producing their own for the drives. They have styles to match their alpha drives and bravo drives and are suppose to be an improvement over what most of use now on these drives.

I am thinking about picking up one now for a spare and then another in a couple of weeks and then switching them all together. Then I'll have the two original Michigan Wheel props for spares.

#5 ·
Jim, those are called the Flo-Torq Props. They have a separate hub. Michigan wheel has their own version, its called the Vortex. Supposedly the hubs are the same and interchangable. Meaning a Mercury prop will fit a Michigan Wheel hub and vice versa. I just removed the one on my boat and went back to the old style, hub and prop all one peice. I asked my dealer what prop came with my boat and he said it was a 14.5"X17. The merc prop and the michigan wheel prop with the separate hub are both 15"X17. Larger diameter. More diameter means less RPM I think. I wanted to see what the boat acted like with the original style. If you go to the Michigan Wheel website, they have a file you can download that has listing for all props and cross references. Its in .PDF format. Very informative.

Randy

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a mercury prop on my Baja and I was very happy with it. I have a michigan wheel prop now because my new boat came with three of them.

#9 ·
Well, I put the Michigan Wheel prop on and ran with it all weekend. Like I said in the previous post it is the correct size for the boat. It seemed to have a harder time getting on plane. I am thinking of going back to the 15X17 Vortex. Its so much fun ironing out all the little things with a new used boat....
Oh, and one other thing, if anyone has a bow pulpit where the anchor comes up thru the center and don't like the way the anchor clunks and clangs due to a lack of a good way to secure it, come talk to me.

#10 ·
QUOTE(Spider @ Jun 23 2003, 09:18 AM)Oh, and one other thing, if anyone has a bow pulpit where the anchor comes up thru the center and don't like the way the anchor clunks and clangs due to a lack of a good way to secure it, come talk to me.
Spider, I'm listening. Tell me the secret as I am tired of working the bungie cords and hooking th eanchor chain on the cleat.

#11 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jun 23 2003, 06:14 PM)QUOTE(Spider @ Jun 23 2003, 09:18 AM) Oh, and one other thing, if anyone has a bow pulpit where the anchor comes up thru the center and don't like the way the anchor clunks and clangs due to a lack of a good way to secure it, come talk to me.
Spider, I'm listening. Tell me the secret as I am tired of working the bungie cords and hooking th eanchor chain on the cleat.
Jim, send me a pic of your pulpit and I'll tell you which way to go. I know all about the bungee around the anchor. Had that on the last boat. This new boat the old owner kept the prop in the engine compartment! What a pain in the A$$ when it came time to hook. Not anymore. If your pulpit is like my old one, I already have the hardware for you. If its like my new one, I'll show you what to get and how to rig it. I suppose I could bring the crappy digital cam with me this weekend and take pix of the new rig I made up. Anywho, show me what you got now and I can help. Anyone else too for that matter. Send me a pic of your pulpit and I will tell you what you need to make your anchor easy to secure and easy to release. No clanking or bungee cords either.

#12 ·
tried a great many of props mercruiser props seemed work best for me just bought one of the 4 blades and i'll swear by it seems to keep the boat on plane at lower speeds gets on plane easier and i gained about 2 mph VERY happy

#13 ·
Randy,
Here is a pic of my pulpit, minus the anchor. To pull the anchor taught, means I have the center piece going up on a 45 degree angle. Right now, I do have it flush to the deck with bungee cords pulling up on the flukes.

Attachments

#16 ·
QUOTE(conquest @ Jun 30 2003, 09:35 PM)
tried a great many of props mercruiser props seemed work best for me just bought one of the 4 blades and i'll swear by it seems to keep the boat on plane at lower speeds gets on plane easier and i gained about 2 mph VERY happy
Is it a Revelution 4 prop you switched to?
What was the dia. & pitch of your 3 blade and what is the dia. & pitch if your new 4 blade?

I went to Mercruisers web site and took there prop / boat matching test. There telling me I should be running a 3 blade Mirage Plus 21P or a Revelution4 17P.
Don't seem right to me......
I'm currently running a Mirage 19P

Thanks,
Ggg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.