Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16ft lund with wooden plywood seats. I replaced the seats with new marine plywood last year, I dont want to mention what that cost, and applied some good quality minwax outdoor sealer, I used several coats. The problem I am having is that the sealer doesn't hold up, it is dicolored and worn, like I didn't put anything on them. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to use to protect the wood. I don't really want to paint the seats, I like the way the wood grain looks. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(bambislayer09 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 16ft lund with wooden plywood seats. I replaced the seats with new marine plywood last year, I dont want to mention what that cost, and applied some good quality minwax outdoor sealer, I used several coats. The problem I am having is that the sealer doesn't hold up, it is dicolored and worn, like I didn't put anything on them. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to use to protect the wood. I don't really want to paint the seats, I like the way the wood grain looks. Thanks.

I would recommend using Spar Varnish available at West Marine. It's what the old wooden boat manufacturers used. There may be something newer, if so talk to the salepeople at West they will be able to help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Captain Tan Can @ Mar 8 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bambislayer09 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 16ft lund with wooden plywood seats. I replaced the seats with new marine plywood last year, I dont want to mention what that cost, and applied some good quality minwax outdoor sealer, I used several coats. The problem I am having is that the sealer doesn't hold up, it is dicolored and worn, like I didn't put anything on them. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to use to protect the wood. I don't really want to paint the seats, I like the way the wood grain looks. Thanks.

I would recommend using Spar Varnish available at West Marine. It's what the old wooden boat manufacturers used. There may be something newer, if so talk to the salepeople at West they will be able to help!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
101 Posts
CAUTION!!!! West Marine is a rip off. The inflate the price of everything. I went there to but locks and caulk for my camper. When I went to General RV on North River road The price was 1/3RD th price of West Marine for the same products!!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(bambislayer09 @ Mar 8 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Captain Tan Can @ Mar 8 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bambislayer09 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 16ft lund with wooden plywood seats. I replaced the seats with new marine plywood last year, I dont want to mention what that cost, and applied some good quality minwax outdoor sealer, I used several coats. The problem I am having is that the sealer doesn't hold up, it is dicolored and worn, like I didn't put anything on them. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to use to protect the wood. I don't really want to paint the seats, I like the way the wood grain looks. Thanks.

Thanks for the help!

BTW, my sis-in-law works at West Marine and I could probably save you ALOT of money in that dept. Shoot me a PM and we'll get you hooked up with the right stuff, at the right price.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(homerdave @ Mar 8 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>CAUTION!!!! West Marine is a rip off. The inflate the price of everything. I went there to but locks and caulk for my camper. When I went to General RV on North River road The price was 1/3RD th price of West Marine for the same products!!!!

Of course they are, they cater to the snooty boat crowd who don't care how much they're spending when they go in there, they don't ever check prices or compare prices, they just buy. "Oh Luvee, I just went to West Marine and picked up some new riggings and mooring lines, so when you see the $1200 charge on the credit card don't be alarmed OK".

But if you have someone on the inside like I do you can get things at cost.

·
Registered
604 Posts
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Mar 8 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(homerdave @ Mar 8 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>CAUTION!!!! West Marine is a rip off. The inflate the price of everything. I went there to but locks and caulk for my camper. When I went to General RV on North River road The price was 1/3RD th price of West Marine for the same products!!!!

Of course they are, they cater to the snooty boat crowd who don't care how much they're spending when they go in there, they don't ever check prices or compare prices, they just buy. "Oh Luvee, I just went to West Marine and picked up some new riggings and mooring lines, so when you see the $1200 charge on the credit card don't be alarmed OK".

But if you have someone on the inside like I do you can get things at cost.

How about taking the seats out and wrapping a marine vinyl over them. Marine glue the top and staple the bottom. You could even put 1/2 foam on top between the vinyl and the seat. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I had a boat for quite a few years, and the floor had a wooden grate on it. I used linseed oil on that to keep the water repelled off of it and to keep it looking good. Just rubbed it in with my hand, a few coats of that every year. It soaks into the wood, and it would not get any oil on your clothes AFTER it soaks in (takes a few days), then you wipe it with a rag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts