Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Michigan Highway State Patrol pulled me over yesterday, I was doing 70 mph in a 70 mph zone. Said the speed limit when towing a boat "or trailer in general" over 700 pounds is 55 mph. Nice guy, just gave me a warning and let me go. Has anyone heard of this? If this is the case I break the law every time I hitch up the boat, I can barely keep it under 55 mph in my driveway
Has this happened to anyone else in MI?

PS - I was told in IL they post signs stating 55 MPH when towing, I've never seen that in MI.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have checked the internet thoroughly and it appears that the officer was right on this. How and when did this happen? I was pulled over last year and hassled over whether or not the mirrors on my Dakota were considered extended or not and when he pulled me over I am sure I was doing 65mph which is my usual cruising speed and nothing was said. This is ridiculous it will take me forever when traveling to the U.P. for summer vacations! Good posting though Stratman you may have just saved many of us a few unwanted tickets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happened yesterday, June 4th on US-23 just North of Ann Arbor. A few miles down the road the same Officer had a 5th wheel camper pulled over, I think he was zero'd in on tow vehicles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I drive a truck for a living. You would not believe the speed some of these IDIOTS drive with trailers behind them. Them things will be bouncing and swaying all over the place. I am always seeing trailers, boats, fifth wheels that people lost control of in the ditch or median. Is getting up north or to your fishing spot 10-30 minutes sooner worth someones life. If your lucky it might just be your boat. Insurance wont replace the boat if you where driving to fast. I don't know about you but most of us have a hard enough time affording the one we have let alone paying off the wrecked one and trying to buy another. I trailer my own boat. I run 55-60 mph. The differance between 60&70 is about 10 minutes extra each hour. SO IS IT REALY WORTH IT!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't see too many people doing 55 - 60 on the Interstates and that INCLUDES the big rigs. I've seen a lot more of those in the ditch lately including one Thursday the split the difference between the off ramp and the highway (couldn't make up his mind I guess).

I see a lot of big rigs going 65 or better every day on the way to work when I drive from Lansing to Flint. I run 70 and some pass me every day.

I see a lot of them pass troopers watching traffice. I drive 65 to 68 on average with my boat and trailer and get passed a lot of people. I have various police drive behind, beside, and radar me and I've never been pulled over while towing the boat for speeding. I'm usually one of the slower ones out there, but not the slowest (well, except when I got the camper on too and I'm going up hill - I only have a little straight 6).

I usually get pulled over for things like water coming out of my boat and similar. What I will never understand (besides why I get pulled over for weird things) is why a zillion semi's and vehicle hauling all kinds of trailers can pass them most of the time and then suddenly they pull over one of us hauling a boat to or from the lake. It's kind of like the opposite of winning the lotto.

Not much different with all the people who have to drive 78 or better and often don't get pulled over either. I just wish I knew how they chose who each day. That's all. For you guys, not for me. I will still get pulled over for something anyway every now and then regardless of the speed I drive. Next time will probably be something like failure to turn off turn signal in a timely manner...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
lol kimmel,
you`ll get stopped for the turn signal, then someone will pass you talking on the cell phone,eating lunch,putting on make-up and steering with their knee.......and they won`t be stopped..........O.......... almost for got about the seat belt check points in and around Oakland Co. anyway that`s another topic ( what about the seat belts on all the kids school busses?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Attaway, Bobhuntdeer. Thanks for the wise reminder. Death, dismemberment, disability, and large personal injury litigation defense all cut into one's fishing time. Safety first, always.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would love to agree with you BOBHUNTDEER because what you say makes good sense in a perfect world but I think it is twice as dangerous trying to do 55mph on most freeways with a boat. If you are not keeping up with the speed of traffic the amount of people that will cut you off and then start riding their brakes from accelerating too much to cut in front of you, not to mention the totally inconsiderate people you will encounter when trying to merge onto the highway doing 55mph is frightening. Few people take into consideration how long it takes you to stop pulling a boat. If you trailering a boat that cannot handle 65mph on the freeway then common sense tells you that you shouldn't be driving 65 but if your rig can safely handle it then I say we should be able to drive it! I probably only save 3 minutes on my drive to the lake doing 65mph but feel it is by far safer than 55mph.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here is my 2c on this issue. Personally, I prefer towing the boat in the left lane of the freeway, which needless to say requires excessive speeds at time. There is a number of reasons for my preference of the left lane. When you are towing, most of the danger and hazard is generated by the numb nuts getting off or onto the freeway. People assume that you can immediately accelerate at the ramp to make some room for that or quickly de-celerate to do the same. Unfortunately, there is no such a thing as 0-60 in 5.5 seconds when towing a 2-3000 lb boat. And folks dont understand that. Thats why i get my butt over to the left and fly, nice safe and fast. Indeed, at excessive speeds things become more dangerous and i dont deny that, but honestly, if you hit concrete at 55 or 65, it will have the same result. Are there any truckdrivers here who can testify to my believe that the left 2 lanes are alot safer for trailering, even at excessive speeds?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If we can get everyone realize that a vehical towing or a big rig can not speed up, slow down, or manuver like they can, we will all be set. You get just as many IDIOTS in the left lane as you do the right. No matter how fast you go there are a lot that want to go faster. I've been cut off, flipped the bird, and a few other things while in my car because I was only doing 10 over in the left lane. No matter where or what you drive you are going to run into ignorant people. HEY I'M DRIVING YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR ME.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Let me understand you, Beermaster. You're saying that driving a little over the speed limit is a good thing, so then driving a lot over the speed limit must be a better thing. And furthermore, this logic applies to a vehicle whose speed of response is impaired by towing.

You have posted elsewhere that a muskie troller must be moronic to cross the mouth of the Clinton River at trolling speed because his boards might "run into" you while you run hard across the troller's stern at planing speed.

I think that you should exhaust your need for speed at the expense of reasonable safety by taking up some form of sanctioned, legal racing. You seem very willing to sacrifice the safety of others for the benefit of yourself. Sanctioned racing experience will correct that habit of mind very quickly.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
My wife says there's too much testosterone in the world...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mike. All I was saying is that it seems much safer to speed with the boat in the left lane, rather than drive the speed limit in the right.

>You have posted elsewhere that a muskie troller must be moronic to cross the >mouth of the Clinton River at trolling speed because his boards might "run into" >you while you run hard across the troller's stern at planing speed.

With 1-2 foot waves, traffic, the sun, the last thing people are concerned with is things that people may be dragging behind their boat. Especially, the visibility is decreased when your boat is coming on the plane, which i believe i mentioned in another thread. After all, your boat is at 30/40 degrees in realtion to the horizon. For a few seconds all you CAN see is the sky. By the time you are close enough to notice that the other vessel is trolling, it's too late.

Kapish?

Was it you by any chance who was trolling in the channel Mike?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
There's no chance of that being Mike, Andy, I've fished with him a few times and he's not capable of breaking laws.

h2o<---not siding BeerMaster but Mike's alright. Just calm down.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Likewise, Beermaster, my apologies. I don't mean to sound holier-than-thou. I'm a safety-first guy who has lost loved ones to vehicle accidents where people behaved irresponsibly, so I go off pretty easily.

No, it wasn't me in the channel. I'm not much of a troller anymore - prefer casting and drifting.

What I think is important is that people who have the opportunity to defuse an unsafe situation should just do so, without regard to who is right or wrong, whether people recognize the good you've done or are too inexperienced or dense to appreciate it. I know it's tough when we get pissed off and indignant, but it's the high road. If you're posting to this board, you probably care a lot that everyone who goes out on the lake comes back in the same shape they went out.

So, if some guy's running boards right out in front of the last buoys at the mouth of the Clinton, as stubborn as can be, just shake your head in disbelief and motor around behind his boards until you're clear and can put it up on plane. That's the spirit of the rules of the road, I think.

Hey, thanks for the kind words, Greg. My schedule's freed up so if you're willing we'll get out soon. Boat's running well and I replaced a lot of hooks over the winter on my wore-out cranks.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Mike can't wait, casting, got one, get the net it's a keeper. LOL

h2o<---good job on hooks

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I found the law online.

A person driving a passenger vehicle drawing another vehicle or trailer shall not exceed a speed of 55 miles per hour, unless the vehicle or trailer has 2 wheels or less and does not exceed the combined weight of 750 pounds for the vehicle or trailer and load, or a trailer coach of not more than 26 feet in length with brakes on each wheel and attached to the passenger vehicle with an equalizing or stabilizing coupling unit.

What is a equalizing or stabilizing coupling unit? Does a sway bar count? This law is very obscure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts