Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just want to see what you all think is better on gas mileage - pull a boat with or without the tarp on? I'm going to be pulling my Ranger 620 Fisherman about 7 hours and am trying to determine if it's better to leave the tarp on or take it off.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference either way, towing my Starcraft with or without the cover. Mine has a fairly high profile in relation to the height of the Bronco, a bass boat sits lower and may have less effect on mileage.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 26 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I haven't noticed a difference either way, towing my Starcraft with or without the cover. Mine has a fairly high profile in relation to the height of the Bronco, a bass boat sits lower and may have less effect on mileage.

A Ranger 620 Fisherman is a walleye boat.

I'd leave the cover on just to keepthe bugs & dirt out of it.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Duh, I read it as 520

Either way the one shown in the avatar sits lower than mine by about a foot.
Agreed, I would leave the cover on. Less yuck getting inside the boat on a long trip and if there is any effect on mileage I think it would be slight enough to outweigh the clean-up.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Trailering can beat up the clear coat, I'd rather wash my boat when i get home, than worry about refinishing it after a few trips!!! All this talk about keeping grim out of a fishing boat is nuts! You guys like to wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap after every fish too??

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 26 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A Ranger 620 Fisherman is a walleye boat.

Whaaa? It's a muskie boat!

I'd leave the cover off. Even a factory fit Ranger cover can buffet at highway speeds and damage the clear coat. They don't always, but you read about it all the time. My boat has a line on the hull just beneath the rub rail where the previous owner covered it to trailer it to Canada once a year for three years. I say skip the cover. If anything, I'd get a rock guard for the truck. My boat also has small chips in the gel coat from being trailered all that way.

I know Mini covers his boat. Don't know if he trailers with it, but I know he has one and keeps it covered. He'd a good one to ask.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I wouldn't think it would make a noticeable difference. The cover would be a slightly larger profile, but much smoother surface...And I would never tow my boat that far without a cover. You could take a rock in the windshield, fish-finder, etc...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just pulled my Triton 21ft multi species up to Traverse City (250 mi ) with the cover on and averaged almost 13 mpg. My tow vehicle is a 08 Silverado. I get the same mileage without the cover.

Here's a tip to protect your gelcoat. Take some saran wrap and put it on the edges where it will be rubbing. The first time I hauled mine I did get some black marks from the cover rubbing because I did not put on the saran wrap, but it all came out with some simple green. Another thing is to make sure your cover is as tight as you can get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE(BCBpIV @ Jun 26 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trailering can beat up the clear coat, I'd rather wash my boat when i get home, than worry about refinishing it after a few trips!!! All this talk about keeping grim out of a fishing boat is nuts! You guys like to wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap after every fish too??

I have a 95 Nitro and trialer it from central Indiana to Ky lake and St Clair often. I always use my road cover. I haven't noticed any damage to the clearcoat. Some oxidation but thats it. Just make sure your cover is a road cover and that you get it as tight as possible. Also, when you stop for fuel recheck all the straps.
Its nice to not have alot of road crap flying into your boat or worry about stuff flying out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. It looks like we'll be trailoring the boat with the cover on. Some very good points were made. I appreciate your responses. This shows what a truly great sight this is!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts