Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that this summer I would like to take my boat down to put-in-bay. My dad tells me that there is a hotel in Port Clinton that has a boat ramp. (I have an 18ft bow rider) I figure I could then visit the island during the day, and when my friends and I are ready to crash, we can go back the the hotel. I hear that sometimes finding docking there can be really difficult. So what kind of docking would be available for what I plan on doing. I don't really like rafting of strangers. I could see something happening there like what has happened to me in the moot before. Someone wants to leave and just unties. Then I look over at my boat and it is floating away.

Also, I was thinking about trying to make it to the Christmas in July party, but there is also a concert that a lady friend of mine is going to on the same weekend. Would the party be worth going to in my size boat, or should I go to the concert, and visit Put-in-bay some other time?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Mike I'm in no way a Put-in-bay expert but I will try to give you the limited amount of knoledge I know. If I'm wrong or if someone else could fill in the gaps a little better feel free.

To really have fun and party on the island your going to want to hit the bars. I know that last year you were not 21 yet. So if you are now you should not have a problem but if your not 21 yet you might want to wait till you are. Parting on the boat is fun but it seems to me that if your going there to pick up chicks your going to want to hang in the bars....than bring them back to the boat.

There are private marina's I believe that you could get a slip and not have to raft off someone if that's your style. Keep in mind that the parting for the most part goes on in the public docks where you are req'd to raft off.

Christmas in July is just crazy down there. If your going to go by boat get there early cause slips fill up fast. A friend of mine was calling on hotels for that weekend and there all booked up already. (I know I know there's a room somewhere in town...but for the most part there gone.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info rerun. I am 21 now, and so are all of my friends that will go with me. We will definetly be visiting the bars. Not sure if I will be looking to pick up chicks though. I don't know if you remember my post about finding chicks in the bay. While I was in a drought than. It is pouring now. Besides it is a lot harder to bring chicks back to the boat when you have no cabin.

I am not completly against rafting, just would rather not when lots of people are drinking. I would only like to dock on the island, then take the 20 min boat ride back to the hotel in port clinton to sleep. If we decide to sleep. Or if it's nice I don't mind sleeping under the stars. I am guessing that a private marina would only have over night dockage. Is it possible to dock daily at the public Marina?

Is it worth attempting this on my size boat? My dad says he did it on a boat my size when he was young. That was quite a while ago though. Not sure if things are different now.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Coming from Port Clinton in an 18' bow rider should be a safe trip in good weather. It will be a long ride if the winds are blowing on Erie. The Jet Express makes the trip in about a 1/2 hour in all weather. $20 dollars round trip. If you plan on staying in a hotel at Port Clinton, it might be better to just take the Express.

Coming back at night after drinking on the Island would be risky. I would want a gps and someone sober driving. From PC, it is about a 13 mile trip one way. Another option would be to leave from Catawba Island which would make the trip about 7 miles one way.

Below are some coments from another post I had.

At PIB, the best spots to have are on the public docks. These are A, B, C. They are first come basis. Do anything you can to dock on the inside of A or B. (Tip the dock guy if he squeezes you in!!!) You will be secure from any potential wind and waves. Some spots on the inside of C are ok as the dock is full cement down to the lake bed. Other parts of C are open and waves will pass thru.

Docking on the outside of A or C with West winds (blowing to the east) or North/North West winds is bad. Your boat will be rocking AL NIGHT LONG.

You can make reservations at Dugguns which is right next to the JET Express, but this dock is only secure on one side and will not protect against North/North West winds. Good thing about Dugguns is it is privately owned and you can drink on the docks. Both these spots are right in the middle of the action.

NO drinking on the public docks. Cops will give tickets. Note: some of the cops are undercover also. Don't take any drugs or let any passengers take any drugs on your boat. Undercover cops walk the docks with drug sniffing doggies

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
We went last year for the first time with 4 other boats. We stayed at Duggan's and had bike/golf cart rental right there. We'll be going again this year, several times in fact, and are hoping to stay at the same place. Bringing our own bikes this year. No rafting here as I am not comfortable with rafting with complete strangers either.

Going down last year the week before Christmas in July, it felt like we had the island to ourselves. Duggan's was nearly full, but the public docks were nearly empty. No crowds on the island.

Going down took us just a little over 7 hours from HCN. We had to stop and help one guy out changing his prop (he spun a hub) and then crossing over Lake Erie was a roller coaster ride with seas averaging 6.5'. Coming back from CP took a little over 3 hours with seas under 2' all the way and no mechanical problems. We stopped in Wyondote for refueling going both ways as well as topping off in CP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts