Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going from Put In Bay to Sarnia, Ontario in early August with our Sea Doo. We've never been in Lake St. Clair nor the St. Clair River. Plan on stopping overnight in Windsor, Algonac, Sarnia, back to Windsor, Leamington, Pelee and back home. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I'm a duck hunter, and even I wouldn't try that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ok I will bite. How many people/jetskis? Just jetskis or also a boat? I would stay on the Canadian side so you don't have to worry about customs. Going to sleep on the jetski?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Used to do Jet Skis out of Caseville to Charity Island and back but we had several chase boats. Hope you are using the same.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(MBI @ Jul 15 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We are going from Put In Bay to Sarnia, Ontario in early August with our Sea Doo. We've never been in Lake St. Clair nor the St. Clair River. Plan on stopping overnight in Windsor, Algonac, Sarnia, back to Windsor, Leamington, Pelee and back home. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hope for perfect weather, and travel early mornings before all the boat wakes.

What is the furthest you've gone before?

Frankly, sounds like more of a challenge than fun.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip!

I know the water warriors ride sit down ski's from Mackinaw to Harsen's Island to raise money for the Special Olympics.

I would pack a cell phone, ship to shore, and as much safety gear as possible.

Good luck to you and take pics!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Don't forget alot of advil for the back

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Sunscreen, Sunscreen, sunscreen.

I just recently read where a couple guys rode jetskies from Wisconsin across Michigan, around Mackinaw, down the Huron, St Clair River, LSC, Detroit River and across Erie to Ohio. I'll see if I can find the link again for their trip. They even had a leaky hose filling the bilge and continued on their trip (stupidly, if you ask my opinion). But they made it OK.

This is one I would DEFNITELY file a float plan for!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Jul 15 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sunscreen, Sunscreen, sunscreen.

I just recently read where a couple guys rode jetskies from Wisconsin across Michigan, around Mackinaw, down the Huron, St Clair River, LSC, Detroit River and across Erie to Ohio. I'll see if I can find the link again for their trip. They even had a leaky hose filling the bilge and continued on their trip (stupidly, if you ask my opinion). But they made it OK.

This is one I would DEFNITELY file a float plan for!

had to of had support boats with them. Who is gonna be able to tow that big of a bladder containing gas?

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
No support boats, but they did make fuel and overnight stops along the way. I think their longest run between fuel was across Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I actually have met a guy out of Port Lambton (That's the one on the SCR, in ontario, right?) He's done very similar trips many times. He has an RXP and an Ultra 150, he used to fill up at Walkers when I worked there on the way down and again on the way back up. He would run down to Lake Erie and back in one day, he also told me about a couple trips he'd done to PIB but I think he launched on the north shore of Lake Erie for those trips. It's definately do-able if you are prepared, and it should be easier I would imagine with all of those stops. The bigger issue I would worry about is fuel when crossing Lake Erie. You would probably have just enough fuel to make it, unless the lake gets kicked up you would be using more. He was telling me a story once about a trip back from PIB on his Ultra, the lake got rough and he ended up running out of gas a couple miles off shore. That would be my biggest concern, you will be fine running from Windsor to Algonac, plenty of gas stops along the way, and you will be fine running from Algonac to Sarnia with plenty of fuel stops along the way. It might be a good idea to have an extra gas can or two strapped to the back for the ride across Erie, and I probably wouldn't head straight from PIB to the Det. River, maybe head from PIB toward Maumee, fuel up, and head up towards the Det. River keeping yourself closer to shore for more fuel options and protection (unless there is an E. Wind). Carry a handheld GPS and a back up, carry a handheld VHF maybe even hardwire a longer antennae to the back of the ski. I would be concerned doing it with just one jetski, I would think it be better to have two so you are not alone, and have an option if one breaks down or takes on water....
Add an electric bilge pump in addition to the stock siphon pumps, plot out courses and follow them exact and file them on a float plan. Det. River to Sarnia is completely safe, coming across Erie is where to you need to be cautious and have a plan A, a plan B, and a plan to not go if the conditions aren't right. If you end up getting into Lake Erie on the way back, and it's kicked up, you should have an extra day or another plan to be able to drive home instead of trying to cross and end up running out of fuel.
If you need company from Algonac to Sarnia, let me know and I'll head up that way with you, my ski is in the water in Algonac right now. I've been wanting to do similar trips this year but I just rebuilt the motor and am still a little apprehensive about going to far out. I would really like to make a run up to Ipperwash Beach on Lake Huron this year once I have more confidence in the motor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
EPIRB, unlimited towing insurance (if they do that for PWC'S). ship to shore?

It's sounds like fun.

Their was a group in Florida that went from miami/ft lauderdale to bimini island.

PWC's are very capable of handling rough weather, if ya can handle getting wet! And some soreness!

Can you fit extra fuel tanks/bladders on those things?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done trip from Harsens to Sarnia 3 times. I would recomend handheld GPS and mark the gas docks along the way. For sure one in marine City & St. Clair. As far as Put in bay to Harsens, sounds like a hell of a ride. I'm jeolous. Not sure my body can handle that anymore. Don't forget to check the weather

1 - 20 of 27 Posts