Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering selling my dirtbike and getting a PWC. There's a '96 Sea Doo XP that I've found. Anyone have likes or dislikes with Sea Doo? What should I look for if I go to look at it? (I know nothing about pwc's.)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
DO IT.!!!!!!!!!

Less pain when you fall.........Less clothes to have to put on.....Not to mention being on the lake is more fun then being in the dirt...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I had one before I bought my boat. When I bought my boat the PWC just sat in the well all summer. I never seemed to use it. So, I sold it. Every now and then I wish I would have kept it but I have my inflatable now also.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I will start off by saying I have never owned one, but many of my friends have and I have quite a bit of seat time on 94 - 99 Seadoo's and Yamaha's. From my experience the Seadoos are a blast to ride, go like a bat out of h%ll and break down more than anything I can imagine. As just an example, 4 friends of mine had 96 Seadoo XP's. 2 were on their 2nd motors, 1 on it's 3rd and 1 on it's 4th at the end of 98. So they sold them and all bought 99 Seadoo GSX Limited's. They were sweet machines, fast as you could want. Not a month into the season, 2 machines were in the shop getting their 2nd motors put in, by the end of the summer 1 machine had ate up 3 motors and the other had all popped at least 1 motor. So in my opinion, if you have tons of cash to spend on new motors all the time, by a Seadoo because they are great when they run. However if you don't have an unlimited bank account, maybe try a Yamaha. The only Yamaha motor that ever blew up for one of my friends was because he put the wrong plugs in it and they burned way too hot.

Just my .02!

·
12,052 Posts
'96 might be kinda old for a PWC. I have a seadoo GSX limited 1998 that I bought at the end of the first season. The original kid owner was a dufus and the motor was fixed twice under warranty. They did change the air boxes on the 800 and 1000 motors because they were too close to the hull and if you got water in you could suck it in the motor. I haven't had a single problem in the next 5 years. Mostly because I don't do stupid things like he did.

I ride with Wiz and a friend of mine Mike on Wednesdays. They have 3 seaters and me a 2. Going across the lake when its choppy the 3 seaters ride much better, but once in the cuts and channels the 2 is great. The GSX or limited will ride MUCH better than an XP, you should ride a few before buying one. The 3 seater Kawasaki Mike bought was the fastest machine out according to the guys at Jetcrafts and it rocks. It has the Ultra 150 motor with a light weight 3 seater hull.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
my .02

I totally agree with Hammer, 96 is getting up there in years. Unless maybe it is like a second one to own along with a new one. I never had a Sea Do, but I did have a Yamaha and still have a '96 Tigershark Daytona. I've taken care of both and have had to put minimal $$ into each one. I like the Daytona more than the Yamaha but then again the Yamaha was an '89. A friend of mine up north use to own a marina and he sold Polaris. I was very impressed with their cost and performance. Plus they are made in the good ol USA. (at least most of it is)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am pending the sale of my 99 XP. I loved it. I had a few probs with the engine, but other then that it was the best handling machine I have ever been on. Do not pay more then $2000-2500 for that 96. That was the last model year for that particular hull. In 97 they redesigned the XP and gave it a semi-V hull... lil bit longer and more of an aggressive shape to it. It really carves. If you can get your hands on a maching with that hull design, do it. The 96 had the 800cc 110hp. It is pretty quick (approx 55 mph) but lacks greatly in the handling department. Your best bet in my eyes for a XP is 98 or newer. 98 introduced the 951cc 130hp engine as an option if you got the Limited (approx 62 mph). The non-Limited had the 800cc. In 99 the 951 became standard. In 03 they added fuel injection. The hull has not changed since 97... just the color.

Hope the history of the XP helped you out a lil and didn't confuse the hell out of you. If you have any other questions PM me.

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.
I'll keep my eye out for something a bit newer.

When I do go look at one; what should I be inspecting? Is there any sort of checklist?

·
Registered
380 Posts
First check the hull. Make sure there are no huge gashes or cracks. Some scratches and paint wear is ok, just make sure they are superficial.

Next take a look at the impeller. Crawl under the machine and look back thru the intake grate. Don't simply look into the pump housing on the back. Make sure that the impeller is in good shape. A bad impeller means your wear ring around the impeller is prob damaged also. These 2 factors have the biggest effect on performance. If its not in that good of shape, try to knock the price down because a replacement is b/t $175-250 for the impeller and about $15 for the wear ring depending on the model.

Take a look at the pump housing and nozzle. Make sure there isn't extensive corrosion. Also look at the ride plate, (directly under the pump housing). Make sure that is not bent or deformed. This too has a huge impact on performance.

Start it up and pay attention to the rate that it turns over before it fires. It should turn over real quick when its out of water. If it seems slow, the battery is prob going. PWC's don't have alternators so a battery only lasts 4-5 years at the most. This is another thing to bring to the sellers attention if it is bad. Batteries run around $50-75 depending on where you get it.

Look at the head bolts on the top of the engine. If the paint is gone around the edges, that means that it has been opened up. If you notice this, ask the seller why they had to open the engine.

If it is equiped with trim, make sure it works. Also, some models have an electric bilge. When putting the key on the machine, the bilge should kick on immediately and run for a few seconds. Make sure the steering is smooth... no kinks or tough spots when turning the handle bars.

If you look inside the engine compartment, and the very bottom has mold and black mildew residue on it, the machine was kept in the water for long periods of time. This is not a problem, just something to note.

Take a look at the gas filter. There should be very little or no forgein objects in it. If there is, it could mean the inside of the gas tank is dirty. If one of these particles were to slip past the filter and get into one of your carb jets, there will be problems.

Look for tears or rips in the seat.

Check the conditions of the fuel lines. Make sure they are not brittle or cracked.

As the seller what kind of oil was run in it. If it has the 951cc engine in it, it should have been run with synthetic. Preferably Rotax or Amsoil.

Stay away from any machine that has an after market pipe on it. Unless you want years of engine trouble, don't buy it. They give you a ton more horsepower, but they are not good for then engine and could give you problems over time. If they have some sort of filter on the carbs rather than the airbox, that is a bonus. If it still has the air box on it, the first thing you should purchace is a set of dry socks for it. You would be amazed at how much water the stock air boxes allow to get sucked into the engine. This will lead to scoring of the cylinders and loss of compression and it will run like $hit.

I know this is a TON of stuff, but these are all things you should look at. Not all of these things are serious enough to not purchace the machine, BUT could be used to get the price lowered. I hope this helps and didn't bore you.

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's just what I was looking for. Thanks KezzerOne.

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any input on a '97 GTI (3 seater)?

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
My .02

Stay away from others......

I had two Yamaha 750 Pro VXR's

Freind hit me~ <_<

6/4/94 to 10/28/95 IN THE HOSPITAL

17 months

198 days (NPO) = no food or water

Came out 139 lbs
(I'm 6'2")

Now I ride a Harley ~ Go figure

·
Registered
380 Posts
It depends.... I still don't like the fact that its a 97. That is a pretty low performance machine. You are only getting the 80hp (I think... the GTX gives you the 110 but im not pos.) Plus its a 3 seater. It depends what you are looking for. Do you want performance and carving ability, or do you want more of a easy riding family machine???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts