Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar w/ SeaStar steering equipment? Lost my steering yesterday and I think it is due to low fluid, was hoping to add more and bleed the system. Would low fluid result in total loss of steering? It seemed like I went from OK to nothing.

·
12,052 Posts
A guy I work with has an older cruisers and he lost his steering earlier this year. There was a bad seal on the hydraulic assist cylinder and the fluid leaked out. Had the cylinder rebuilt and new fluid and its been great since.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, figure I got a leak too, but can't see it......so I'll fill the system back up, bleed and the start checking.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have a system that is pressurized but has no method to put the pressure in automatically, which I thought it did. I never even thought about it other than to look at the fluid level in a clear window in the resevoir can.

This Spring, after 5 years of owning the boat, I lost steering - I mean it was complete, no steering at all! Traced the hydraulic lines to that can on the stern with an airvalve on it and a little label that says to keep the pressure above 30#, I think. No pump of any kind in he system.

So I got a bicycle pump and aired it up and, voila, steering is good again. I'll have to check that from time to time. Could you have a system like mine?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same concept but fluid instead of air. I ordered 4 quarts and a fill kit, checked on the web and got the instructions. Kinda like bleeding auto brake lines.

I too was suppose to watch my level but didn't until the steering was lost. A new mainenance item learned for both of us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts