Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys, I'm invoking the powers of LSCN.... some things are looking up around our household, which means we might be boat shopping come fall/winter. Tentative plans call for a large offshore V-hull, maybe up to 35'-40'. I don't currently have a tow vehicle for such a large boat, and the funds will probably only support either a boat or a truck, so the truck obviously must take the back seat for a year or so.

That being said, what marinas can rack a boat of that size. Alternately, which marinas allow a hydro-hoist or similar? I'd much prefer to be located from, say, Beacon Cove north all the way through Algonac (north channel), but I realize I might not have a choice.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mike,
This I know from asking ....
Beacon Cove will not allow hoists in their well.
Michigan Harbor will let you install a hoist. There are a few restriction like it must be self supporting etc. I was looking at installing one there until the theft thing and other issues with them occured.

ed

·
Registered
387 Posts
There's a 42' Outerlimits in a hoist at Mac and Ray's. Rack storage would most likely be the cheapest (or should I say, least expensive) but it's a pain in the butt! Make sure you ask questions about working on the boat while in storage. I've heard stories (on the internet... therefore they are all TRUE!!!) about some places not even let you clean your own boat while in storage. Instead they would make you PAY for their own cleaning service to come out and do the work for you. Make sure to read the fine print!

-B

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got a 26' scarab at beacon cove in the racks and I know they have quite a few boats that are probably 36 footers. As for working on my boat or cleaning it, I have access to it whenever the barn is open. I just tell them to set it on a ground rack and I've got it for as long as I want and they have water hoses right there.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yep, Anchor Bay has many dick boats in that size range racked. They got a nice rack! (setup!)
And they will put your boat on a work rack Monday thru Thursday.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Beacon Cove is great, that's where we rack... however, I don't believe they store anything over 32

Budcouch, do we know you??.. we have a 32 sunsation.. mostly white with yellow, purple and black on sides... say hi next time!!!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Jul 14 2003, 05:04 PM)Yep, Anchor Bay has many dick boats in that size range racked. They got a nice rack! (setup!)
And they will put your boat on a work rack Monday thru Thursday.
DY
!!! They have some pretty big hot rod boats there..........I do have the biggest cruiser, rack stored however!
The drivers are real careful I must say.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I believe Sassy has pretty close to the biggest rack storage facility on LSC. Very fair gas prices also for 89 oct.

Storage will run around $2000 for the summer which includes one in and out per day. Season is 5/15 - 9/15. Rack storage was nice with our old boat, but I had a trailer and could use before and after dates above. They do not allow any work to be done while in rack storage during season. You have to have them set outside on cradles. Wasn't that expensive if I recall.

·
Registered
179 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ Jul 14 2003, 10:00 PM)Beacon Cove is great, that's where we rack... however, I don't believe they store anything over 32

Budcouch, do we know you??.. we have a 32 sunsation.. mostly white with yellow, purple and black on sides... say hi next time!!!
Hey cgirl, I think you're right about 32 being the biggest in there. I've got an older scarab, mostly grey on the side. That wasn't you guys that we talked to late Sunday night about 10:00 or so was it?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
were you with the girl that was hiccuping??.. I remember talking to some people outside of the washrooms, and another boat briefly that came in just after us...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had our last boat at Beacon Cove - 31' feet is the largest they'll store, though I did see them putting in a 34' Powerquest once. The thing is, it's not just the rack, but the forklift as well - has to have long enough forks and be heavy enough to resist tipping. Frankly, I'm more worried about the lifting equipment than the rack itself.

I've been looking at boats like the Formula 357, or an older Cigarette 35' or 38' - these boats are "true" length, without the add-on platforms of new boats. Have to make a few calls and see what I can find out...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
: ... okay dockrocker.. so ours isn't true..
... but thats what they call it!!!

I think that same powerquest is still there!... shhh.. don't tell anyone, its a secret..

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Canehdiangirl, it's kind of funny - sometime in the 90's, it looks like the boat manufacturers moved the responsibility for measuring their boats from the engineering department to the marketing department.

Case in point, my 1988 Sea Ray 230 cuddy cabin was 23' 7", bow to stern, not including the bolt on swim platform. Fast forward to 1999 and my 280 Powerquest - 27' 7", including 2' or so of integrated swim platform.
Hmmm..... a 357 Formula is only a foot or two shorter than a new 382 Formula. And don't get me started on the beak boats!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mike,

Beak boat ? I resemble that remark

I'll tell you another good one. See how wide your boat really is. All that beam is measures about 1/3 back and over the rub rails.

ed

·
12,052 Posts
Depends on the manufacturer. My '99 Cruisers is a 3870 but I am 43 feet OA in length.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE(MooseKnuckle @ Jul 15 2003, 12:24 PM)I believe Sassy has pretty close to the biggest rack storage facility on LSC. Very fair gas prices also for 89 oct.

Storage will run around $2000 for the summer which includes one in and out per day. Season is 5/15 - 9/15. Rack storage was nice with our old boat, but I had a trailer and could use before and after dates above. They do not allow any work to be done while in rack storage during season. You have to have them set outside on cradles. Wasn't that expensive if I recall.
I was at Beacon Cove and always put my boat on the trailer to push the season. Then they put a boat in my rack and let me put the boat and trailer in the building.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts