Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the opinion out there of Quantum Baitcast reels? I want to get one more good (expensive) set-up and I was thinking about a Quantum due to the tension control (not sure if thats what its called) is on the outside versus having those internal pins with the caps. Looks like a nice reel though. I think I am going to match it with either a All-Star rod or maybe G.Loomis, will see how much money I feel like spedning. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I probably own about 20 Quantum reels, none of which I got for free or anything like that. I haven't bought a new one in several years. I still use most of them all the time. I have a mix of a few other brands I use, but most are Quantums.

I have a Quantum Energy casting reel that is particularly smooth and nice. It's almost too smooth for a guy like me who uses so many old reels. I still use a couple-three that are 20 years old.

I'm not sponsored by them, so I haven't kept up on the latest model names and numbers, but I was handling a few of the new Quantums at BPS last month and they felt really smooth. I list Quantums as one of my confidence products on my website because I think they are a great mix of good performance for the price.

I think you'll be happy with one.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I AGREE 1000%

Yep, thats a thousand percent. I own 9 quantums and 3 Pflugers. I can out cast most people with the Quantum. The best one I bought this year when Lakeside in Farmington Hill closed. Was able to get a 600PT for $90 YEA!

Dan

·
Registered
467 Posts
Eric, you will like quantums. In fact, regardless of the name brand, if you spend RETAIL price of $100 or more on a baitcaster, you are probably getting a very good reel. My only suggestion is to put the reels you are interested in on the rod you intend to buy. A reel may feel good in your hand, and feel completely different on the rod (especially if going with a round reel vs. a low profile reel). I would definitely recommend you stop by Bass Pro and look at the Spring Classic sales. They have some SWEET deals going on!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The old Quantam Energys were good but I have my doubts about the newer ones. I don't think you need to spend $160 to get a good reel. I bought 2 Accurist ll PT's
last year and they both sound like pencil sharpeners. I buy nothing but Shimano Curados now and with a reel trade-in, you can get one for $100 at BPS right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my opnion quantum reels perform nice, but do not last long. last year i bought an accurist, after a long hard season it was not as smooth and did not cast as far, along with a noise.

In the fall one cold day while fighting a good sized smallie the plastic reel seat on the bottom snapped.

I will never buy a quantum again. i will keep using daiwas and shimanos, all the reel seats are metal and the reel itself last alot longer.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
As you spin in the vortex of confusion, go to bass pro and get a ambassador abu garcia. Not only is it a well made product but for there guarantee, Just check them out you won't be sorry.

h2o<----hard to pass up a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I personally havent had good experience with Quantum. I had a couple of their older baitcasters, and lets just say they werent the best. They didnt feel very well in my hands, and it didnt feel smooth at all. I had a couple of their spinning reels lock up on me all of a sudden also. I'm a Daiwa guy but the reels from Daiwa that I use are 200 bucks. For the money though, the Shimano Curado is AWESOME. I might just keep buyin Curados. I like the smaller 100B. Then again the TDX's are sweet.

God bless,

Jose

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've used Quantum forever. Last year I tried the Shimano Curado. It was a nice reel, but like you stated, I couldn't deal with taking the reel apart and fiddiling with those stupid little weights. Major pain in the a$$ is you ask me.

I traded one Curado for a Quantum and sold the other to a friend for $70 and baught a new Quantum with the money.

I also bought 2 Diawa Laguna spinning Reels. 1 didn't last the season the other 1 is now my sons and working pretty well.

Last weekend at Bass Pro I purchased 4 Catalysts, 2 Kinetics, and 2 MG1310 Baitcasters.

I have 100% Quantum reels now and I wouldn't have it any other way. Every time I try something new, I always go back to Quantum.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a few Curados (2 100b and 2 200b) and for the $129 it costs for the 100b, it is WELL worth it. They are easy to palm, have Super Free (the pinion gear is supported by a ball bearing - unlike the 200b)and are SMOOTH. I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever complain about a Curado...

·
Registered
927 Posts
i have 3 curados. i will put those reels up against my chronarch and there is literally no difference. i feel stupid spending $200 on the chronarch when i could have bought another curado and about $80 in bait.

i used to have a few quantums. they are ok for a while,. but they all fell apart. i was young then and $4.25 and hour didnt get you into a shimano reel. now that i make better money, i buy better equipment.

next time your at bps, go to the reel counter and ask is paul is around. if he is, tell him to show you the shimano trick. its cool.

madman himself

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All right now you guys got me more confused than ever. Does the Shimano Curado have the pins with the caps controlling the free spool? Because I have this on my Pfluger baitcast reel and I don't care for it. I can envision myself messing with the caps during a tournament and all of a sudden one comes flying off the reel and gets lost.

Whats the opinion of Daiwa baitcast reels?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah the Curado has the little weights on the spool that you have to click on an off, but you dont have to do it all the time. I set mine to my preference, then I leave it like that. Any fine tuning can be done with the tension cap on the other side by the handle. Tighten it to tighten the spool, or loosen it to have less friction. The only real time that you might have to click in or out more weights is if you downsize hardcore to a lighter lure. But generally, I throw anything lighter than 1/4 ounce on spinning. Some guys will argue that they'll use baitcasting for smaller lures, but in my opinion spinning tackle has its place and is just a good a tool for bass fishing as baitcasting...

Now on Daiwa's. I own 4 Daiwa TDX's, and I cant say enough about them. I love them. They have given me 4.5 years of great service. I would take a TDX over a Chronarch any day. Alot of it has to do with how it feels in my hand though. It has a ver unique shape that just feels comfortable. The only thing that Shimano has over the Daiwa is smoothness. Shimano are vry smooth. But for casting, the TDX wins out, over my reels anyway. The TDX doesnt use the little weights like Shimano. Instead Daiwa uses a system called Magforce-V which I really like. Its a magnetic breaking system superior to any other magnetic breaking system on the market in my opinion. Simply just turn the settings on the side. It goes from "Off" all the way to "10." I like it alot. I've heard great things about the SF Shimano models and I might buy one. But for my money, if I can afford more, i'm buyin TDX's. The newer models are supposed to be even better.

God bless,

Jose

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think I have set the pins in each of my reels twice. Once, just after I buy them and take them on the water, and the second time to make my final adjustment. Like Jose said, the rest of the time I will use the tension cap to make any other adjustments. The caps are wedged between barbs (don't know the technical term here...sorry!) that prevents them from flying off. Unless of course you are intentionally trying to pull them off, at which point you will have to push or pull on them pretty darn hard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts