Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have a question regarding roller type trailers.

I'm used to helping load a boat with a bunk style trailer. This trailer had load guide bunks mounted on the side. All I had to do was float the boat over the trailer and wench it up (boat floated up to the stop). We would then pull the boat out and it would float right into alignment on the way up.

My new boat has a Shorelandr roller type trailer. It has no load guides. This sucker is hard to align when loading. If I back the trailer in far enough for the boat to float up to the hull stopper while wenching it does not seem to align right in the rear when I pull it out. If I don't back the trailer in as deep the boat aligns on the rollers properly but I have to apply A LOT of force to the wench to get the boat up on the trailer. So much I'm affraid I'll break the wench strap.

What's the proper way to load this sucker? Any tips?

This is my first boat. I'm still getting used to driving it so please don't suggest power loading. I'm not comfortable doing that yet. Seems like I would do more damage than good.

Also, how about unloading? What's the proper procedure here? I can't undo the wench hook before backing it in (like we did with the bunk trailer) since the boat will roll off the trailer!!! How is this supposed to work?

I've searched everywhere on the web for instructions but have come up with nothing.

The last thing I want to do is have a "mishap". Thanks for your help.

Gerb.

G

·
Where are you launching and retrieving? I ask because I've noticed a big difference in the ramps at Harley Ensign and Metro Beach. Metro has steeper ramps than Harley and I find it a little harder to keep the boat aligned there.

The only suggestion I have is to make sure your winch strap is not worn. I had a roller trailer before with a rope on the winch and it just started to fray a bit on the outside. Then one day it snapped on the ramp, and the boat rolled off the trailer onto the gravel ramp. Trust me, you don't want that to happen...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Gerb, you're killing me!

Too funny!!! wench? don't you mean wrench? If you put the definition for a wench, wenches or wenching, into your post it's pretty funny!

BTW, welcome to the board, bud!

Oh, and NEVER powerload your boat! Always float the boat onto your trailer. That digs a hole at the end of the ramp and piles the bottom up just behind it that other boats can and do hit their prop(s) with. Not a good thing, believe me. If you go to Ike's Marine, Boat US, or West Marine, you can buy guides for your trailer. Probably cost you 80 bucks or so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I meant to say winch. Not wench or wrench

What the heck, I'm an engineer. Spelling and grammer are not my thing

I know what you mean by power loading. Saw an animated clip on the DNR's web site yesterday. I understand and will abide by their wishes. However, there are still quite a few people at metro doing this. Heck, one guy did it in front of a DNR officer and policeman the other day. Nobody said a peep.

Now, back to my original topic. Should the WINCH strap rated to carry the full load of your boat

Gerb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts