Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you take the time to get permits for your events?

Would it make a differance if you have 2 boats or 100 boats if you get a permit or not?

Would it make a differance how large the ramp is, if you get a permit or not?

Do you think you need a permit at a "metro park"?

Should it matter if your federated, bass, flw,mbaa, wonderland, or a club?

If you have your "stickers" (ramp passes) on your windshield, would that enable you to hold an organized fishing event anytime or anywhere you want?

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Let me break this down by question

QUOTEHow many of you take the time to get permits for your events?

First determine if a permit is required for you to use the site.
If a permit is required everyone should purchase one but not everyone does

QUOTEWould it make a differance if you have 2 boats or 100 boats if you get a permit or not? Would it make a differance how large the ramp is, if you get a permit or not?

Permit prices very based on the number of boats you need a permit for.

Ramp size determines how large a permit you may purchase ......my understanding is your permit can not be for more than 80% of the parking of a DNR site. Therefore if the site only has 20 parking spots your permit could not exceed 16 boats.

QUOTEDo you think you need a permit at a "metro park"?

The DNR & Metro parks (always) and some county and city launches require you to purchase a permit if you plan to hold an event on their site. Permits very depending on who owns the site. You do not have to purchase a permit if you hold your event at on off site place .......such as a private restaurant.

QUOTEShould it matter if your federated, bass, flw,mbaa, wonderland, or a club?

No it does not matter

QUOTEIf you have your "stickers" (ramp passes) on your windshield, would that enable you to hold an organized fishing event anytime or anywhere you want?

NO ....... these permits are not the same as a USE permit. You need a use permit to hold an event on some sites

Hopes this answers your questions.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Permits for DNR ramps are a must until they decide differently.

We pull a permit for more than we expect, I would much rather be without the funds than to be BLACKBALLED by the DNR. It does happen!

Pulling a permit when ever possible is good for all, some places have park rules or local laws that would keep a tournament from running smoothly.

Size of the ramp does matter! We try not to take more than 50% of the spaces even though we can take more. On numerous events I have walked the parking lot over with an angry boater that doesn't have a space to park to count "OTHER TYPES" of trailers. We are labeled as not desirable people when we single handedly screw a family from having a day on the water. When truth of the matter comes out we do good for the parks.

Many more issues to cover as to why it is important to go above and beyond what is expected but, I hate typing!

If you need some advice or a take on the many what if's, please call me on my cell at 810-523-5236.

Doug Phillips
Owner, Greater North Tournaments
Tournament Director, Michigan B.A.S.S. Federation

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Curious question for the people in the know on permits. Will the MDNR issue more than one permint on a specific date for a specific ramp? Say club A pulls a permit for 20 boats, can club B pull a permit for 10 if space is permiting (80% rule) or do they simply say no becauser there is already a permit pulled? Again just curious, not trying to stir things up any more.

·
Registered
795 Posts
First let me say it's 60% of the parking
Next the MDNR is a strange machine and works differently depending on who you work with. The Mt. Clemens Field Office is one of the best and has a policy of allowing more then one event at any of the St. Clair boating access sites. They go by the number of boats you have but they will not do more then two or any two that will take more then the 60%

As for inland lakes I have never seen more then one permit per lake per day no matter the number or launch and pulling these permits can be as easy as a phone call with some offices and as difficult as posible with others.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Alex,

I don't think it is a 80% rule as suggested earlier in the thread .

Yes, they can issue more than one permit to a site as long and it doesn't reach the "Tournament Capacity" which I think is 65%, but then I've been wrong many times and can and will be corrected quickly.

I pulled a permit for my South East Franklin and a permit for my GNT Walleye which were run at the same time as you well remember.

Permits are not as easily gotten as some may think. You spend two months trying to get your dates to only be refused as someone already has that day and they claim to have just enough boats to ensure that they have the entire ramp to themselves.

I was speaking to someone within the DNR and they stated it cost more to process the permit than the fee for the permit. Many insiders wish the whole process be thrown out.

I prefer to have some sort of permit process as this, I feel, is the only way to have gang wars from happening! Whackmasters swinging St. Croix, Ketchum Big Fish Club swinging Loomis and the ramp favorites Smashing Smallies swinging All Stars. I remember the bickering when there wasn't a formal process. Arguing and fighting over nothing.

Doug

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Doug @ Oct 2 2003, 03:57 PM)Arguing and fighting over nothing.
No way, I've never seen that happen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts