Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noob to fishing Lake St. Clair and was wondering: where can I get some walleye? I see posts about perch and slabs but nothing about walleye. Is it too early or not enough ice or are the fishers just being tight lipped? I am just trying to put dinner on the table for the family. A walleye would go a long way at dinner. Any info that I should be aware of? Minnows vs grubs, tipups vs jigging. Not looking for exact locations, but general info that would be helpful. Look forward to meeting some of the knowledge anglers out on the ice this weekend.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
There's not enough ice to get to them. Even then you'll need to hit them at dusk or early dawn for your best chances. Jigging Rapalas, Salmo Chubby Darters, various jigging spoons. I bought a few Lindy Darters (like the Chubby Darters, $1 cheaper) this year & got a walleye on one up in Houghton Lk.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
best bet for walleye is to go to saginaw river or bay. Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(BurlakaUS @ Jan 8 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am a noob to fishing Lake St. Clair and was wondering: where can I get some walleye? I see posts about perch and slabs but nothing about walleye. Is it too early or not enough ice or are the fishers just being tight lipped? I am just trying to put dinner on the table for the family. A walleye would go a long way at dinner. Any info that I should be aware of? Minnows vs grubs, tipups vs jigging. Not looking for exact locations, but general info that would be helpful. Look forward to meeting some of the knowledge anglers out on the ice this weekend.

You can always catch walleye through the ice at Harsens Island.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bowtiehater is right if you want walleye you have to go out to the Saginaw Bay. The do very well up there and there are plenty of places to go out. My dad and cousin are out now and they and have four walleye on the ice. Last year we went out on the east side and caught 50 walleye with six of us before noon. Best ice fishing of my life!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
theres only been a couple of reports about st.clair and walleye being caught. Lots of inquiries about where to catch them. Need better ice over deeper water , in my opinion.
Be careful out there. been a few guys gone thru the ice in the last couple days.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Besides the fluke, walls are deep this time of year. No safe ice to get them now on lsc.

Lake Orion has eyes btw.

h2o

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE(Freek @ Jan 9 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(h2o @ Jan 9 2010, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Besides the fluke, walls are deep this time of year. No safe ice to get them now on lsc.

Lake Orion has eyes btw.

h2o
No kidden? Keeper size?
i seen a guy at stoney this summer with 5 hog walleyes (30 plus inches and real fat).looked like footballs.he said he did the same the day before.i live 3 miles from there and tried like hell all summer didnt catch one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
QUOTE(BurlakaUS @ Jan 8 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am a noob to fishing Lake St. Clair and was wondering: where can I get some walleye? I see posts about perch and slabs but nothing about walleye. Is it too early or not enough ice or are the fishers just being tight lipped? I am just trying to put dinner on the table for the family. A walleye would go a long way at dinner. Any info that I should be aware of? Minnows vs grubs, tipups vs jigging. Not looking for exact locations, but general info that would be helpful. Look forward to meeting some of the knowledge anglers out on the ice this weekend.

my expert advice head north sag river or sag bay or houghton lake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts