Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i;ve always have used 6-8lbs mono line on my med-light action 6'6 spinning rods....i am kinda confused on all the new line types that are out there...for doin some small mouth fishing out there...is my 6lb mono sufficient? what kinda line works best for using plastics and jigs? what about crankbaits? i have used the braided line once a few years ago and i thought i was missing a ton of hits cuz i couldnt feel'em...? and what situations is fluro good for? and which type is best for sensitivity say for texas riggin?

Thanks abunch...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
try to search about fishing line. there are plenty of posts. I must have made 10 or so....

but basically all of them have a place OR you can get away with what you currently use. all depends on you.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
*Lighter(mono) the line, the more sensitive it is.

*Lighter the line, the deeper your crankbaits will go.

*Lighter the line, the more better it is for more spooky fish (trout,walleye)

*Braided line has barely/if any stretch = better hook sets.

*Braided line, because of no stretch, is more sensitive, and you SHOULD be able to feel bites and bottom structure better.

*Braided line is stronger then the diameter is is produced in. (20lb test/6lb dia is the Fireline I have right now)

There's a few examples.....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
if you fish alot with lures theyll dive deeper on mono then braid. braid has more drag in the water wich doesnt allow the lure to dive as deep.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
For deep crankin, spinnerbaits, tubes, jigs & anything that I'm working on or near the bottom I like to use fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon sinks were as mono & braid float so fluoro gets your bait down quicker & deeper. Braid is by far the most sensitive (Power Pro is by far the most sensitive of all the braids I have used & I've used almost all of them ). I use 6 Lb test with all my finesse presentations (tubes, grubs, drop shot etc.) & 10 Lb for crankbaits, jerkbaits, & spinnerbaits. For topwater use mono. For heavy cover use braid. For vertical jigging in the DR for walleye use 8 Lb Power Pro.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Look at the Elite series guys and 90% of the time they're using flourocarbon on everything. Braid for heavy stuff, flippin, frogs, ect. and mono only for topwaters. I use flouro for all plastics and hardbaits and even on spinnerbaits. Guys will tell you that the braid is the only way to go and it is great to feel everything but you will get more bites on flouro guaranteed. I've been experimenting with Power Pro with a flourocarbon leader and havn't broken a fish off yet so I can get the best of both worlds. If you must use mono then I would reccomend P-Line CX Premium, it handles good and is flourocarbon coated so it may be a little less visible. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
605 Posts
For as clear is this lake is flourocarbon gives me that extra bit of confidence. low vis, lower stretch, and it sinks to get a straighter more direct link to the bait where mono floats you get a little scope in the line.

I can see where peks is coming from because the lighter line will have a more direct link to the bait, you will have a tighter line, but it does stretch more so depending on the technique it can go both ways.

·
Registered
49 Posts
powerpro is what i like i use 30 and i use it on my baitcaster, like glsbass said you can use the flur as a leader. with that depth you want somethin that sinks faster and wont stretch. i feel powerpro is the most sensitive. as for mono i have nothin good to say about it. but if you do use it get suffix. its cheap and bout as good as your gonna get. that p-line stuff is good. mono $9 , powerpro $15 , flurocarbon $23 , give or take a dollar. p-line is cheaper but just as good

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
i tried floucarbon once and everytime i tied a knot the line would break are there special knots for this line it was 12lb test vanish

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(rocky3 @ Jun 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anybody heard of Addy Line?..One of our sponsers sold me some said best out there best all purpose line

Do you mean Ande?

If so, its some tough stuff. A little stretchy but it holds knots really well.

I think more world records were caught on Ande line than any other.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Jun 30 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i tried floucarbon once and everytime i tied a knot the line would break are there special knots for this line it was 12lb test vanish

Berkley Vanish is well known for breaking. It's by far the worst fluoro that I have used. I have been using Bass Pro's XPS fluoro & I love that stuff except for the fact that it's not made in the US.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
other floucarbons wont do that? i bought two spools of vanish from gander mtn 8lb and 10lb tried using them for leaders but couldnt now they are taking up room in my garage

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(jcgambler @ Jun 30 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that stuff zib mentioned is what you need to get if u go with fluorcarbon. vanish is garbage

As other have said I use power pro for mainline and then flouro for a leader. Fits many situations.

Troller I'm confused by your post. Braid is thinner in comparison the mono of same test so it has less friction with the water. Many times it is the only way I can keep in contact with the bottom trolling with BB's or jigging.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(islander @ Jun 30 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jcgambler @ Jun 30 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that stuff zib mentioned is what you need to get if u go with fluorcarbon. vanish is garbage

As other have said I use power pro for mainline and then flouro for a leader. Fits many situations.

Troller I'm confused by your post. Braid is thinner in comparison the mono of same test so it has less friction with the water. Many times it is the only way I can keep in contact with the bottom trolling with BB's or jigging.

if you look in your percision trolling. 10 lb mono and 6 lb fireline are essentially equivalent as it concerns to lure depth no corrections necessary(direct quote from precision trolling guide). 6 lb fireline is smaller then 10 lb mono but has same dive ratio for same lure type?
is because superlines actually have greater drag for a smaller diameter. wich as you know drag in water causes the line to lift.so you have to let more line out to acheive the same depth. the no stretch of superlines doesnt really help til after 250 ft of line out if long line trolling but i dont know anyone who cast a football field on a normal basis, and he was talking about casting so on a cast the lure on mono should dive deeper. lineout/depth acheivable if was casting the same lb test. its page 21 of the book im sure you have 1 every salmon guy does and it takes more superline out then mono to acheive same depth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 30 2009, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(islander @ Jun 30 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jcgambler @ Jun 30 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that stuff zib mentioned is what you need to get if u go with fluorcarbon. vanish is garbage

if you look in your percision trolling. 10 lb mono and 6 lb fireline are essentially equivalent as it concerns to lure depth no corrections necessary(direct quote from precision trolling guide). 6 lb fireline is smaller then 10 lb mono but has same dive ratio for same lure type?
is because superlines actually have greater drag for a smaller diameter. wich as you know drag in water causes the line to lift.so you have to let more line out to acheive the same depth. the no stretch of superlines doesnt really help til after 250 ft of line out if long line trolling but i dont know anyone who cast a football field on a normal basis, and he was talking about casting so on a cast the lure on mono should dive deeper. lineout/depth acheivable if was casting the same lb test. its page 21 of the book im sure you have 1 every salmon guy does and it takes more superline out then mono to acheive same depth.

Troller
I have that book also but disagree with it as I have baits and dipsey divers go deeper with less line out when I use Ripcord Si and it is heavier wieght line(smaller dia.) than the mono I use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts