Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was on St. Clair this week my buddy was fishing Union Lake. He was approached by a DNR officer that had several confiscated tip-ups with him. When my friend asked what they were confiscated for he told him because they didn't have names written on them. He claimed that you had to have your name on your tip-up wheter you were standing right beside it or not. He also claimed that he wrote two guys tickets for using little perch they had caught as bait on the tip-ups stating this was an illegal practice. Any one know if either of these claims are true? I know in the warm weather I put the perch I catch onto a spare pole and drag it along as I drift and cast and always end up with some nice bonus fish.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Below are from the MDNR fishing regulations. It is true that you must have your name and address on a tip-up but it is OK to use a legally caught perch for bait.

Lawful Fishing Methods
Bait: Any fish (except lampreys, live carp, and goldfish) and frogs may be used as bait when legally taken and possessed.

Hook and line fishing: Tip-ups and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler's name and address. All lines must be under immediate control.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ScubaJay don't know how you found that so quick. I had looked through the handbook twice and didn't find either one of those. Appreciate the response as I don't want to be teaching my little ones the wrong way to be banging fish.

·
Registered
882 Posts
"He also claimed that he wrote two guys tickets for using little perch they had caught as bait on the tip-ups stating this was an illegal practice."

MDNR fishing regulations.
Lawful Fishing Methods
"Bait: Any fish (except lampreys, live carp, and goldfish) and frogs may be used as bait when legally taken and possessed."

So what are we saying here.
The person responsible for enforcing the law, doesn't know it?
This is the kind of thing that really makes me upset.
I hope your friends challenge these tickets and drag this agent into court so the judge can explain the law to him.
Then charge the agent with extended education time on the laws he is enforcing.

But thats just me.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I'd bet it wasn't the perch on the tip-up it was no name on the tip up there's a bit of confusion in the stories

h2o<-- that's what me thinks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right H20 the guy we knew there ended up paying 110 bucks a tip-up. The DNR only claimed to have written tickets to some guys over by the launch for using perch on their tip-ups. No confirmation that this occured can only go by what the officer said on this. Would not suprise me as we gray areas of the law that allow officers to have their own interpretations and then you get stuck having to shell money out for a lawyer to prove your innocence. I just try to play by the rules so that I have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
927 Posts
this all rings a familiar bell for me...

i have run into a few dnr guys/gals who had absolutly no clue as to what they were talking about and on top of that threatened to write tickets.

i had a guy tell me he was gonna write me a ticket for having too many rods/reels on the boat ( 8 between 2 guys ) last year on Cass Lake.

then he had the nerve to repremand me on basing law on assumption rather than fact.

but i hear stories all the time on people having property confinscated by dnr or police officers for "new laws" that no one other than the officer has heard of.

i think the state needs to take a better look at who they are putting out into the field.

and what would have been wrong with letting the guys with the tips ups off with a warning and having them put there name and address on the tips ups right then and there?

i know that the law is the law, and should be enforced..

but we are talking about tips ups, not poaching, fisihng without a liscence, etc....

and the perch as bait thing, thats a new one to me.

after hearing all these stories in the past year, i am carrying a regulations book on me at all times this year, if an officer wants to write me a ticket or confinscate anything of mine, i will be sure to have him show me the laws in the reg book before he does anything.

madman himself

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
It's a good idea to trim the back fin on perch when using them as bait.

h2o<---says try it, makes a difference.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
H20 you are about the third person that has mentioned trimming the fin back. What is the purpose of this? Normally I just lip hook the perch with a thumper jig or a lindy rig and let him run wild under the boat. Last year this only failed one time to bring in a fish on St. Clair and Union Lake.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You absolutly can use perch for bait on a tip-up or any other way, provided you caught it legally.

If you recieve a ticket for that, go to court and fight it, you WILL win.

PS. you can use ANY legally caught fish for bait. For example: you can use a 13in. walleye for a pike decoy or on a tip-up too. But I don't know who would.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
The reason one would trim the tail is to slow down the fish and make it easier for the game fish to nail it. This might help in getting a better hook set. It works good on tip-ups and helps to eliminate false flags. It's more like handing the fish his or her meal instead of making them work for it.

h2o<--- try it, but sure your proof it works without the trim. Just makes it easier for the fish to get the bait. The perch would seem injured with a trimmed fin.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks that makes sense. Haven't tried a perch on a tip-up but stands to reason that the flag would keep going off if you didn't slow the perch down. Like I was saying I just use them in the boat on a free pole where I don't care how fast he runs. I have caught everything from gar pike to large mouth bass using them. Will definitely give it a shot this year and see how that works out.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Your welcome: I just use a jig, size would be determined by wind speed for a extra pole while drifting with just a 3 inch power grub on it tied direct and alot of times i get more fish on it than the one i'm casting. Heavier jig on windy days. 1/16 - 3/8 oz.

h2o<--keeps it about a foot off bottom. ( drift-dragin).

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Never trimmed a fin on a Perch but I know they trim back the tail of a Bluegill when they use it for Flatheads and Blue Catfish in the Mississippi River.
Bob

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understood. I usually just use a chartreuse crawler harness with a 1/8 oz. split shot about 3 feet above it. If the winds are heavy I just add a split shot or let out a little more line until I am just ticking the weeds as the boat bounces down in the waves. Will be trying the Berkley Gulp this year so I plan to go to a small jig using the 3" minnow grub instead of the crawler harness to drag behind the boat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts