Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you casters out there, do you guys use any type of inline sinker when casting your tails..say out in 10 FOW or more. Right know I usually just buzz them across the tops of the weeds in the shallow water, but wasn't sure if I went out into a little deeper water if you needed to get the lure a little deeper, or if the Muskie would rise to the surface to give chase to the lure if buzzing by more near the surface.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
As long as the water is clear in the lake you are fine. If you want to go deeper just count your lure down. The fish see a lot better in the water than we do. Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Aug 9 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As long as the water is clear in the lake you are fine. If you want to go deeper just count your lure down. The fish see a lot better in the water than we do. Bob

Still learning some of the lingo Bob...what does "count your lure down" mean? Is that just give a count when the lure hits the water to give it time to drop in depth?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
That is it I think they say it is a foot per second. Lol

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hi Raymond,
I don't use any weight in line, just the weight of the lure. I usually start reeling as soon as the lure hits the water, seems to work best for me, more strikes that way. Sometimes if we are in deeper water with weeds lower down, I do a 2-4 second count and then reel. After a few casts you will see if you hit the weeds and how many seconds to get where you want to be below the surface.
Also, don't be afraid to try a few fast reels mixed with a few slower reels. Another thing I do is to hold the rod tip up high in the air if I want to buzz the surface with the lure, or actually touch the surface of the water with my rod to keep the lure about a foot under the water surface while reeling fast. Try all kinds of combos, and do a sweep while casting. I get my lure going in every direction off the boat to cover as much area as possible. Moving by motor, if not drifting fast is important to cover a lot of area also.
Good Luck!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
If your using a Super Brunner Runner it might sink faster as they are really heavier then the Classic's. One thing the #10 blades usually start to spin on their own where the smaller blades usually require a twitch of the rod to start them turning. Good Fishing. Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot Bob, I really appreciate all the help and advice that I receive from everyone. I'm gonna try and get out tonight around 6pm, still on the hunt for my first Muskie. Thanks again!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 9 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Raymond,
I don't use any weight in line, just the weight of the lure. I usually start reeling as soon as the lure hits the water, seems to work best for me, more strikes that way. Sometimes if we are in deeper water with weeds lower down, I do a 2-4 second count and then reel. After a few casts you will see if you hit the weeds and how many seconds to get where you want to be below the surface.
Also, don't be afraid to try a few fast reels mixed with a few slower reels. Another thing I do is to hold the rod tip up high in the air if I want to buzz the surface with the lure, or actually touch the surface of the water with my rod to keep the lure about a foot under the water surface while reeling fast. Try all kinds of combos, and do a sweep while casting. I get my lure going in every direction off the boat to cover as much area as possible. Moving by motor, if not drifting fast is important to cover a lot of area also.
Good Luck!
Lots of good advice there, I'm sure there are times that I spend too much time in one area because I feel like he's there...but if there are no hits or follows, I need to just move on! Thanks for the advice on the different variation od speed and depth.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
The Prop always has good advice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 9 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As Bob said, they'll come up for it. Muskie hunt from below, so if it's above them, it's fair game, and if the fish is hot, she'll come out of 15-20' for a bait on top.

Oh so true!

I've watched a musky come from 30 yards away to take a look at my topwater before. It REALLY made me understand that they will chase something down when they're active.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Aug 9 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Prop always has good advice.

Thanks Bob. I just like to learn as much as possible, and try to pass it on like you do. I can't believe how much I learned from you when pickining up my lures and getting the tips, and from Brian showing me on the water. I also have notes from Troller11, Basstek has had some good stuff he put out, Spinnerbait, I think basspro16, Heimskr and all the others that give bits and pieces that make up the puzzle. And you are the one that always mentions trying different size lures, and speeds too. You guys say it enough, and you see, we eventually learn and apply it.

A thanks to you, and to all the others that put up the info in their reports! It makes for a great time teaching it to the wife.

My wife wants to meet you, she hears all the stories. I'll have to bring her when I get with you for my next lure. But, remember, we gotta keep the price to ourselves. She still thinks they are a few bucks.

Once shes hooked, I'll tell her there was a price increase.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
if you go out raymond be careful she was getting a little nasty out there.

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
QUOTE(RaymondFox @ Aug 9 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For you casters out there, do you guys use any type of inline sinker when casting your tails..say out in 10 FOW or more. Right know I usually just buzz them across the tops of the weeds in the shallow water, but wasn't sure if I went out into a little deeper water if you needed to get the lure a little deeper, or if the Muskie would rise to the surface to give chase to the lure if buzzing by more near the surface.

Have you signed up for the Muskie School, it is scheduled for Sept. 19th

·
Registered
526 Posts
You may want to try a Spanky Bait Fireball and they have a bait that weighs 3.7 oz and that would help you get the bait down a little deeper and help keep it down.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I (Crazy Moon) can also make you a custom "deep" bucktail.

I tend to not go too much heavier with weight as it gives the fish more of an advantage throwing the hook with all that weight slinging around during a head shake. I'll substitute willowleaf blades, which have less "lift" to them, and I'll also sometimes go to a single blade, which allows you to reel slower and still spin the blade. It's also more of a "thump" than double blades; not louder, just a different, lower frequency. Which if you're fishing deeper, it's usually what you're looking for; slower retrieve after a cold front or in the fall. That sort of thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.