Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post here, but have really enjoyed reading your posts over the last few days, definatly my new favoite forum. My question is how would I set up my crawler harness for drifting. I have no trolling motor and I think my i/o is probably to fast for trolling. Does the harness merely lay on the bottom, and then take off with the waves and current. Approximatly how much weight and how far above the harness is recommended. Can you just ish a harness at the end of a bobber to keep it above the weeds. I appreciate any advise you guys may be able to offer. See ya on the water Saturday!

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE(RaymondFox @ Jul 10 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First time post here, but have really enjoyed reading your posts over the last few days, definatly my new favoite forum. My question is how would I set up my crawler harness for drifting. I have no trolling motor and I think my i/o is probably to fast for trolling. Does the harness merely lay on the bottom, and then take off with the waves and current. Approximatly how much weight and how far above the harness is recommended. Can you just ish a harness at the end of a bobber to keep it above the weeds. I appreciate any advise you guys may be able to offer. See ya on the water Saturday!

when we drift we usually dont use weight unless its fast winds just let out a lot of line till you think your close to the bottom or use a light bottom bouncer like 3/8 or 1/2 oz you wont do as good as trolling but you might get into a few if your in a good spot

·
Registered
446 Posts
Define where your drifting I.E. on the lake or in a current situation. If it's in current as on the SCR or one of the channels then it's pretty simple. Get yourself a good supply of 2 hook harness's and some 1.5 oz bottom bouncers. Depending on the wind direction just let the current take you down stream using your IO for minor corrections.

I personally like the type of harness that have the hooks closer together, maybe 1.5" to 2" apart. As for blade color it varies day to day and week to week. That said here are some consistent producers, I'm sure other have their favs.

>Chartreuse with and with out dots

>Hammered gold and copper

> Fire Tiger patterns

>hammered silver

>Black with chartreuse dots

I probably have over a hundred harness's but these will get you going and like I said others will have suggestions as well.....good luck.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
QUOTE(RaymondFox @ Jul 10 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First time post here, but have really enjoyed reading your posts over the last few days, definatly my new favoite forum. My question is how would I set up my crawler harness for drifting. I have no trolling motor and I think my i/o is probably to fast for trolling. Does the harness merely lay on the bottom, and then take off with the waves and current. Approximatly how much weight and how far above the harness is recommended. Can you just ish a harness at the end of a bobber to keep it above the weeds. I appreciate any advise you guys may be able to offer. See ya on the water Saturday!

You have gotten some good responses Ray. One thing that you need to remember with harnesses is that the blade needs to turn over constantly as it is fished. That's why haveing it lay on the bottom or just suspended under a bobber won't cut it with one. If drifting out in the lake there is usually enough wind to move your boat. Just size your blades so that they turn over. You can check them by hanging it over the side and checking it as you drift before letting out line.

While drifting add just enough weight to get the harness to just skim above the weed tops. It might be just a splitshot or it could be as much as small inline sinker of various sizes depending on the wind effect on your boat. If fishing weed edges or the channels a small bottom bouncer might be the ticket. Experiment, it can be a lot of fun and rewarding. I hope this helps a little.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts