Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately ive been doing pretty good catching keeper perch. But my problem is if its not really cold the perch dont freeze and die on the ice. So when I am cleaning them later when i get home there are always a few that are still kickin pretty good. I've cleaned them when they are still floppin around and it sucks, they throw slime and guts all over. any suggestions on how to knock them out or disable them without cutting the heads off? I use the heads as a hand hold when cleaning them. Thanks for any insite.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE(parttime michigander @ Mar 2 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lately ive been doing pretty good catching keeper perch. But my problem is if its not really cold the perch dont freeze and die on the ice. So when I am cleaning them later when i get home there are always a few that are still kickin pretty good. I've cleaned them when they are still floppin around and it sucks, they throw slime and guts all over. any suggestions on how to knock them out or disable them without cutting the heads off? I use the heads as a hand hold when cleaning them. Thanks for any insite.

Push your fillet knife in just above the eyes and give it a good twist around. Instant death.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got home yesterday with a few in the bucket... kids are checking them out. Bleeding heart daughter sees one move, fills bucket with nice oxygenated water... presto! They're all kickin' like mad.
Promised I wouldn't do them live, so did the knife point to the brain trick. Done.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
The best way is to give them a good smack in the gills with your scoop while you're still on the ice. It kills them instantly, so they don't flop around on the ice and they won't flop around on the cutting board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts