Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I haven't posted in forever and a day but I have NOT forgotten about everyone. Who out there has quit smoking and has good advice about it? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
QUOTE(Superbikerbabe @ Oct 26 2003, 04:55 PM)Hey gang, I haven't posted in forever and a day but I have NOT forgotten about everyone. Who out there has quit smoking and has good advice about it? Thank you!!!
Just quit. cold turkey. i did it for a year. but i'm smoking again, by choice ..due to stress in my life
i know its a cop out but hey...

i found the first 4 days were brutal. plus going to the bar, ordering beers, and needing that cig in my hand. UGH. chew on bar straws. chew alot of sugarfree gum.

Keep something in your MOUTH at all times
gum..candy, etc...

it'll get easy. put your mind to it and you can do it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Stop buyin them.... ever. Thats what I did. Now I chew gum pretty much all day. Sugarfree of course. Eclipse Polar Ice to be exact. Does not promote tooth decay or lung cancer. If I did it, ANYONE can do it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
my mother inlaw and father inlaw both quit after seeing a hypnotist, i gave the persons name to my neighbor and she quit also. other than those success stories, i heard cold turkey is the best. get a hold of me if ya want and i can get the hypnotists number for ya.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
After 15+ years, I quit about 6 years ago. Used the patch to take the edge off the nicotine withdrawal, it helped a TON. Alter your routine - if you take the same route to work every day, change it. I found that stupid things like that made a difference.

Good luck - you can do it! Be prepared to wash all your clothes and shampoo your furniture - after a while you will HATE the stink of cigarette smoke!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Any time you get the urge to have one slam you thumb with a hammer.

That way you will associate smoking with the pain. And unless you like that sort of thing it should be enough to make you stop.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quitting smoking is easy, just remember two words; don't smoke!

Although I don't smoke, I've heard the patch works good.

Hey Dockrocker are you on the OSO board?

G

·
i treid using the patch a few times .
it didnt work for me . all i wanted to do was roll up the patch & smoke it!!!
i reccomend the gum,
after a while your body starts to associate the urge for a ciggarette with a bad taste in you mouth .
then you can retrain yourself to living as a non-smoker.
at least thats how i've done it .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not a smoker but I know a few things about it from counseling people on it.

1. Don't try it unless your serious and ready to make the commitment. Sometimes a failed attempt can set you back and make you less likely to try to stop again. If you cave the first time, keep trying until you get it stopped.

2. Quit caffiene first. (Soda, coffee, tea, chocolate). Nicotine and caffiene bind to the same nicotinic receptors in your brain and can mimick each other. If you quit caffiene first and go through the withdrawal, you clean out your system a bit. It's good preparation. (That's why coffee and cig's go together so well.)

3. Change the habits associated with smoking. All those cues and places you usually smoke need to be filled up with something else. i.e. you get in the car and light up...so you have to get in the car and have something else you're going to do like chew gum or bring a favorite CD, talk on the phone, or bring silly putty. Things that are hand-mouth are the best substitues.

4. Set a date. The gum or patch can be a good way to wean yourself or come up with a plan to wean with cigarettes but set a date that you plan to stop completely. Most likely you will still have withdrawal symtoms...a bit shaky, nervous, irritable, munchies, even dreams about smoking are normal. Plan for what you can do when you have withdrawl symptoms which leads to cravings that you know will be alleviated if you smoke. Be prepared.

5. Hypnotism or acupunture can aid in stopping smoking but aren't powereful tools unless you're truly commited.

6. Reward yourself. For everyday you don't smoke put your cigarette money in a jar and at the end of a week, go buy yourself something cool.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good advice, Dr. XO! What about the medication Zyban? Does it help people quit?
I was able to quit cold turkey when I got pregnant for the first time 15+ years ago. Never started again, thank goodness.
Good luck to you, superbikerbabe! You can do it! Buy yourself something really nice with the money you save!
Joyce

·
Registered
245 Posts
Zyban is actually the old anti-depressant drug Welbutrin just under a different name for marketing purposes. Some people say it helps with cravings and certainly the withdrawal that can feel like depression.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts