Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not a smoker but I know a few things about it from counseling people on it.

1. Don't try it unless your serious and ready to make the commitment. Sometimes a failed attempt can set you back and make you less likely to try to stop again. If you cave the first time, keep trying until you get it stopped.

2. Quit caffiene first. (Soda, coffee, tea, chocolate). Nicotine and caffiene bind to the same nicotinic receptors in your brain and can mimick each other. If you quit caffiene first and go through the withdrawal, you clean out your system a bit. It's good preparation. (That's why coffee and cig's go together so well.)

3. Change the habits associated with smoking. All those cues and places you usually smoke need to be filled up with something else. i.e. you get in the car and light up...so you have to get in the car and have something else you're going to do like chew gum or bring a favorite CD, talk on the phone, or bring silly putty. Things that are hand-mouth are the best substitues.

4. Set a date. The gum or patch can be a good way to wean yourself or come up with a plan to wean with cigarettes but set a date that you plan to stop completely. Most likely you will still have withdrawal symtoms...a bit shaky, nervous, irritable, munchies, even dreams about smoking are normal. Plan for what you can do when you have withdrawl symptoms which leads to cravings that you know will be alleviated if you smoke. Be prepared.

5. Hypnotism or acupunture can aid in stopping smoking but aren't powereful tools unless you're truly commited.

6. Reward yourself. For everyday you don't smoke put your cigarette money in a jar and at the end of a week, go buy yourself something cool.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Zyban is actually the old anti-depressant drug Welbutrin just under a different name for marketing purposes. Some people say it helps with cravings and certainly the withdrawal that can feel like depression.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.