Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AM/FM radio reception is marginal. I live in Port Huron and don't get good reception of Detroit stations. The reception in my car is OK. Shakespeare makes a VHF/AM/FM splitter that allows the VHF antenna to be used for both the VHF radio and the AM/FM radio (simultaneously if desired). Does anyone know if these splitters work, and if they're hard to install (I have a 28' Sea Ray)? Thanks

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I have installed them on customers boats and they are not that difficult. As for how well they work, I am really not sure. I make sure that they do work, and that's about all.

·
Registered
696 Posts
They work great when the VHF is on top of my mast, I've used this splitter on bith my sailboats with great success and no problems with the VHF.

Go for it!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a problem recently too. It turns out it was my radio. But in trying differnt antennas, I was told by Boat US that the one that works best, even better than splitting it to the VHF antenna, is the one that simply has a wire run out of the radio about 5'. That's it. On mine, it comes out of the raio, runs under a wodden shelf on the side, and is stapled to that. Check to see what kind of antenna you have. If you have one of those that I am referring to, and it looks ok, and the radio is ok, then try that splitter. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts