Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Raft report

985 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tony 
#1 ·
50 Dinks that is. Started out in the marina and caught 1 bluegill. Made 5 more moves towards the lake before I got anything going. Finally decided to make my final stand at 4:30pm and started banging the bottom with a weight to muddy it up and also dumped a few scoops of minnows down the hole to imitate a feeding frenzy.
Well it worked, and a army of dinks(under 7" fish) invaded and I caught one after the other for the next 45 minutes before giving up. I never even saw a keeper in the hole.
I was using a green/yellow spoon with a small silver blade and a red jenson egg. I literally could not do more than drop it down the hole before a dink perch would grab it. Good practice I guess. Also no repeat on the steelhead that I got yesterday that is marinating and waiting for the grill as we speak.

See less See more
#2 ·
QUOTE(Tony @ Dec 20 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>50 Dinks that is. Started out in the marina and caught 1 bluegill. Made 5 more moves towards the lake before I got anything going. Finally decided to make my final stand at 4:30pm and started banging the bottom with a weight to muddy it up and also dumped a few scoops of minnows down the hole to imitate a feeding frenzy.
Well it worked, and a army of dinks(under 7" fish) invaded and I caught one after the other for the next 45 minutes before giving up. I never even saw a keeper in the hole.
I was using a green/yellow spoon with a small silver blade and a red jenson egg. I literally could not do more than drop it down the hole before a dink perch would grab it. Good practice I guess. Also no repeat on the steelhead that I got yesterday that is marinating and waiting for the grill as we speak.

man 2 reports in 2 days.....i really need to get out.......getting my gps and lowrance ice machine for Christmas, cant wait....i love Santa

#3 ·
Nice report Looks like you'll be out quite a bit this year and hopefully no more reports of dinks though. But like you said it is good practice and better than catching nothing.

#4 ·
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Dec 21 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice report Looks like you'll be out quite a bit this year and hopefully no more reports of dinks though. But like you said it is good practice and better than catching nothing.

Not gonna get out near as much as I am usually do this year. Wife starts a 17 credit hour nursing program next term and I have a 5 year old and an 8 month old at home. Toss in the fact that the wife is a competitive gymnastics coach and we travel just about every other weekend to in and out of state meets from January-March and it equals limited ice time.
I will just have to make up for it chasing salmon and eyes in the spring. Pulled the first salmon out of the SCR on St. Patty's day this year. That is why I am getting my trips in while I can. In 20 years of ice fishing I don't ever remember seeing that many dink perch in my hole at one time. Hopefully that was just a large school I was on and not the aerage size of perch again this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.