Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just bad luck or what????

The last few times I have gone to the moot I have ended up with a real a$$hole on one side of me! This weekend was pretty much topped them off!

When you want to tie up to someone, correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't you at least HELP tie up your own boat? Saturday I had a great group of people in a Regal on one side of me that I tied on to! Then comes the peole to tie onto to me. I am in a 25ft nothing large, these guys in a 34' SeaRay come up next to us, and basically threw a rope over the side and walked away, 1 fender, so I dug out these old small, as some of you call them "Tampons" to put between them as my large ones were on the boat that I tied onto. These people were absolutely no help getting this tied together. A little later his 1 bumper fell through and this moron watched my wife fight with this bumper while he stood on his bow talking on his cell phone. By the time I got back on the boat and and onto the bow, I was so pissed I wanted to beat him to death with the bumper!

Then throughout the day his kid proceeded to shoot every woman that walked by with a water cannon and throw water balloons at them also! I was so tired of the evil stares coming my way because of this little s.o.b.! But that is a whole other post!

Whew I am just getting all pissed off just remembering that. It's just a shame because we all come out there to get away from the BS that we deal with everyday! Everyone we have been exposed to through here we really enjoy, it just takes a few of these idiots to out a damper on your day!

OK I feel better now!

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
SEE THE IDIOTS WITH WATER CANNONS THREAD. YOU MIGHT BE AMAZED!!! YOU AREN'T ALONE.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just bad luck!!Next time Im sure it will be better for you!! Or just throw the ropes back at him !!Or better yet hit him with the tampon bumpers over the head!! ha ha

·
Registered
148 Posts
Man-oh-man you sure do run into all the idiots out there!

You'd think by now with all the posts on bumpers and raft ettiquette that people would get the hint by now.

I think your boat is jinx'd!
jk

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You could untie him and float him out of the raft...

A couple of years ago at Jobbie, a nice Baja pulls up next to us and asks if they could raft up. We watched as they pulled out one of the Q-tips they called fenders (no lines, btw) and we just said, "uh, no".

·
Registered
552 Posts
Unfortuantely because of rude idiots like you described alot of boaters are reluctant to join in a raft off. To me if you are attempting to raft off someone you should have at least two bumpers already tied to the side of your boat before approaching the raft off. You should be ready with lines as well, and make adjustments to bumpers as needed. Before you do anything else, it should be a priority to make sure everything is well secured. Like Freckles we have been in situations where we will flat out say NO, if a boat approaches that does not have lines and bumpers.
We are pretty firm about this, so I am sure some might think we are pretty fussy, but oh well it's our boat. The problem that we usually have is if someone next to you decides to un-tie when you are away from your boat, I guess since they are leaving they don't care as much. Therefore we try to communicate with the boats on each side before we or they leave their boats so we have an idea when they plan on untying, it helps but we have still come back to find our bumpers and lines loose.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
i said no to a group wanting to raft off later that night aound 9pm, they didn't have ANY bumpers, so i told them to go get some first then come back

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Aug 9 2004, 03:35 PM)i said no to a group wanting to raft off later that night aound 9pm, they didn't have ANY bumpers, so i told them to go get some first then come back
The look on his face was pricelss

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Here's a good one for you. Right about 4:30 - 4:45 the boat two boats down from us decided to leave - well, they had been one of the anchor boats. The boat on our port side was tied up to them (had no bumpers and no lines out - we used ours when we tied up) and I really don't think they knew how to tie a line (had to retie both lines that they helped out with).
Anyhow - after the anchor boat left, the remainder of us started to slowly drift - the boat to our port side had no one aboard. The rest of us had to figure out what to do so we didn't drift off. Luckily the guys in the 254 Vista next to us (Mike & Crew) were cool. We helped them set out anchor lines, and then moved this "unmanned" boat over to their port side so that we could safely take off. Pyrate really wanted to take them out into deep water and just anchor them there for leaving their boat completely unmanned.
He thought twice, and decided not to, but can you imagine if he had?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Its simple.... when approaching the line..... boat comes off of plane..... out come bumpers and lines. I hate waiting for people to get it together when they pull up unprepared. The violators most likely don't post here. I've never seen a LSCN member that doesn't have it together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A few weeks ago, a boat full of people decided to leave early and didn't do so much as to even throw me the line from the boat on the other side of them, which had nobody aboard. They just untied their boat and took off. I was forced to try to pull that boat and mine together with the wind blowing. Nobody around even thought about trying to help me. I was getting pi$$ed off. Finally, I got them tied off and was dead tired.

I also like how people get mad at me for being too slow because I always pull my boat into the line. I really like to avoid running my motor when I'm near people in the water.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
I know your frustrations. We are lucky enough to have LSCNers to raft up with. We get there at the same time and leave at the same time... help each other tie up, get anchors set and help out other boaters coming in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have never rafted up with other boats but would like to sometime. Besides bumpers and lines ready, what else should i have ready. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
409 Posts
QUOTE(ajaxthe2nd @ Aug 20 2004, 06:07 PM)I have never rafted up with other boats but would like to sometime. Besides bumpers and lines ready, what else should i have ready. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
A cold beverage,or two or ten, and a camera to take pics of RaftGuy's raft & the 5:00 follies near the Zboat.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I agree with angel girl and goose and if you seen mine comments abouts the great!!!! raft off..

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
You'd think by now with all the posts on bumpers and raft ettiquette that people would get the hint by now.
sorry i haf not figured that quote stuff

/but please read this as u head to my boat

I'll never smoke wwweed with whilly again

sorry for any offending

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fitsus,

Some of the members have not rafted with the rest of us before, or been a member of LSCN long enough to read these posts. If you're going to bow out, at least point to a relevant thread so they can educate themselves. I'd do this but I'm rather new myself. I'd rather leave it up to seasoned veterans. I still make a cluster f&*k out of my tie-off's

Gerb

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I have been on the lake most of my life but I am very new to rafting.. I usually am out fishing... A few weeks back I met up with the Tot Lot in Munchies Bay. I didn't know what the hell to do to hook up properly to raft off another boat. That's probably why I haven't been rafting until then. Dailey-Interest grabbed me when I got in, told me to get my bumpers/fenders tied on the boat and he walked me into the line. The other boat that I tied up to also put out a fender and we tied together. My fenders are about 12 inches in diamter and maybe 30 inches long for my 21 1/2 ft Searay. Maybe an overkill but I wanted to get a larger fender to do it right. Heck, the price tags were still taped on the fenders. We had a nice afternoon rafting together and when it came time to leave I politely asked Freckles and Di-Firstmate if we could untie because we had to get home to take care of the dogs and so on... Well. Di-Firstmate & Freckles untied us and walked us out to an area where we could start our engine and idle out. So, to me the Tot-Lot has real class when to come to being neighborly and helpful to another boater who is new to rafting. Even though Dailey-Interest made fun of me all the time that I was there I felt welcome and had a good time. Thanks Tot-Lot.. :>)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts