Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does/has anyone ever owned or know someone who has or had a Ranger R93?

just wondering how this model handles on bigger water.

madman himself

·
Registered
1 Posts
Madman, my old boat was an R93 and I loved it. I lived in Ohio at the time and use to frequent Erie around the Bass Islands area about 4 times a year. Rangers are a little heavier than most bass boats and in my opinion handle rough water better than most bass boats. This is not to say you can go out when there are 5 foot waves and have a gravy ride. I fish out of various name brand boats in my club and alot of them are faster but I think you'll find the Rangers ride and handle as good if not better than any of the others.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Joe D, isn't your boat an R93.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its officiaL. the R93 is a bad mother. two days out on st clair proved that. especially sunday, a strong north wind tore the lake up something awful. but the ranger handle nicely. thanks for the info guys.

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It's funny how guys often talk about Ranger's being slower than some other bass boats. Sure, if you're looking at Allison's, but one of my regular partner's has owned an R93 for a while now and we've passed a lot of 'faster' bass boats in that thing.

Heck, my other regular partner owns a 'tugboat' 522 Ranger with only a 225 on it and we still managed to pass several boats on the Detroit River Saturday. We only got passed by two smaller boats with 225s and one smaller boat with a 250 that passed a BUNCH of boats. Oh, that one was a Ranger 521.

There are some boats faster than others, but a lot of guys seem to inflate their speeds the opposite of how the National Weather Service predicts wave size.

Heck, I remember a guy in a bass boat brand (I forget the name because they went out of business a few years ago) claiming he could run 87 mph, but it took him from the mouth of the Grand River until almost Muskegon to pass me on good water. My boat is old and tired. It runs 57 to 61 with my densely-packed 245 pounds, 1,000 pounds of fishing tackle, lots of spare stuff and duct tape for emergencies, and 64 gallons of gas along with all the weight from whomever I'm fishing with.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Ranger does make a nice boat. it is not the fastest nor is it the slowest (except Dan's...lol)

We did pass you in the river in a Triton on Sunday (you were in your boat)....we passed everyboat that launched in front of us that headed north by the time we hit the ambassador bridge. ALOT of that has to do with the 2004 Opti that Chuck has, the Opti's have been getting stronger every year since their intro....

Every boat has its up and downs, but Rangers are built well, handle the rough stuff pretty good and are faster than peopel give them credit for. But it didnt matter what you ran on Sunday.....it was gonna hurt!

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I always thought Chuck's boats were faster because he does his best to spend most of his time airborne (I'm just going by what I've been told mostly) and we all should know that air has less drag than water.

I bet you'd've only lost half your phone numbers if you'd been in my boat...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Speaking of Rangers. I'm looking into trying to find a couple year old 21' Fish & Ski type boat. I spend most of my time fishing and want something with a good amount of rod/tackle storage/livewell space + something that can be used as a boat to take family/friends to the beach. I'll probably use it on Cass Lake most of the time, and spend some time on Lake Huron/St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair/Detroit River, and other inland lakes.
Expected future usage:
65% Recreational Fishing
10% Possibly a tournament or two
25% As a Play boat

Any suggestions? What about a "Ranger 210 Reatta". I was also looking at the Nitros, but I was a bit weary when I heard on another board that the Nitros still used more wood than most. My boat will be in the water most of the time (as long as I continue to live on the lake so durability is a definate factor). Right now I have an older Ranger 373V.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Rangers have the warranty they do because they are built to last a lifetime. I've watched them build their boats from numerous parts into the quality boats they are. They are built kind of like a tank, but a tank that ends up a sleek fighter jet.

Check out my pages on building Ranger bass boats sometime if you want to see some of what I've seen:
Building Quality Bass Boats

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so, basically, it sounds to me like it all comes down to knowing your boat and how to handle it on the rough water.

this could be my inexperience talking ( or posting ) but thats what i am getting from all this.

my ranger is great, but i still dont know how to handle it on lsc. i dont pretend to know, and i am not trying to impress anyone. i have had it out 3 times now. the first time was fine, the lake was farely calm and i was able to open it up.

the last 2 times were different. it was either a strong north wind ( actually a north eastern wind ) or tuesdays brutal south eastern wind. i took my time. stayed in open water away from other boats and got to know my boat. after 3 days i am still not comfortable running in that rough of water.

call me names if you must. but i refuse to be "one of those guys". i will take my time, and learn my boat, i wont be one of the ones you will see gunning it in rough conditions. my biggest concern right now is obtaining the knowledge and expereince it takes to keep my boat, myself, and most of all my passengers in the best condition possible.

and i offer this advice to anyone who has been out on clair in a smaller, slower boat, and has recently purchased a bigger faster boat, or anyone else who isnt familiar with the lake.............BE CAREFUL! the biggest lesson i have learned so far ( in 3 outtings ) is that you can assume all you want as to who on the water knows what they are doing. it only takes a second to get into trouble. know what you are doing at all times. be aware of your surroundings at all times. know what is ahead and behind you at ALL TIMES!

st clair can be a great lake to spend an afternoon, or a week, or a lifetime ( as some of you already know) but i am not kidding when i say it is a very dangereous body of water.

please enjoy it, be respectful, be curtious, and most of all be safe. we are all out here for one reason or another, remember that. no one is on the pond to have a BAD TIME.
if they are, they came to the wrong place.

DONT BE A STATISTIC!

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Guys can give advice on the best ways to run certain waters under certain conditions, but how to drive your individual boat in specific water conditions mostly comes with the experience of doing it over time and learning what works and what doesn't.

There are tricks to minimize the beating or save time, but they will work better or worse for some boats and under certain conditions.

Tip #1 that is pretty consistent for all bass boats - stay out of the strong current when running in a wind that blows against the current. The waves will be the worst in the channels.

Many boat collisions happen because each 'captain' expected the other to make a move. It is the legal responsibility of all boaters to avoid collisions.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(DMisaras @ Aug 19 2003, 11:46 PM)Hey guys, we don't call him "Crazy Chuck" for nothing. I never realized it until I rode with him. What a rush.

Dave
He has really calmed down in his "old" age...lol

(I am going to show him this thread after he gets out of the shower....lol)

Mini

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Its called seat time....get it. You need to learn your boat.....with your equipment. Two boats off the factory line rigged identically will have different characteristics especially after you load them down with gear.

I have heard that some boat manufacturers boats can vary almot 200 pounds per hull.

BTW you will not only learn to get you, your equipment and passengers home safe, but you will be alot easier on the fish.

Mini

1 - 15 of 15 Posts