Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(roland20 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>on some of my rapala jigs the treble hooks bend when have a biger fish
has any of u put a single hook on them and if so what size and how has
it worked

I have experimented a little with putting a hali style chain and single hook and had some success with it. Mostly though, when the hook bends beyond the point of being usable, I just put an eagle claw lazer sharp red number 8 (I think might be a #10) treble on there and no more problems unless I snag it on some clothing or the shanty and bend it again lol. Most of the perch are going to chase the egg or whatever you have tipped on the treble as opposed to the actual minnow (rapala) itself so always make sure that hook is in good shape and sharp. Ive also found that with the red hook, sometimes with no bait on there they will smack at the hook just dangling there, that's why I use the red hooks. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Jan 4 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(roland20 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>on some of my rapala jigs the treble hooks bend when have a biger fish
it worked

I have experimented a little with putting a hali style chain and single hook and had some success with it. Mostly though, when the hook bends beyond the point of being usable, I just put an eagle claw lazer sharp red number 8 (I think might be a #10) treble on there and no more problems unless I snag it on some clothing or the shanty and bend it again lol. Most of the perch are going to chase the egg or whatever you have tipped on the treble as opposed to the actual minnow (rapala) itself so always make sure that hook is in good shape and sharp. Ive also found that with the red hook, sometimes with no bait on there they will smack at the hook just dangling there, that's why I use the red hooks. Good luck to you.

Once again a good tip FISHON.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Jan 4 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(roland20 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>on some of my rapala jigs the treble hooks bend when have a biger fish
it worked

Once again a good tip FISHON.

thanks for the help and yea those perck love the red egg on the bottom of the jig

·
Registered
962 Posts
I actually tried that but it messed with the action a little bit. like fishon said get the small treble and youll be good to go. seems anything red is always good. I have a small glow in the dark red jiggin rap and the crappies love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.