Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
That would be the first cool thing BASS has done in a while!!! They deffinetely need some good PR for a change,...but it's all been brought on by themselves.....crap happens when you sell out to the big dogs!! IMHO!!!
I hope Ray comes back.....but if it's merely a figurehead/spokesman capacity,....it may not help much.....BASS/ESPN need him involved with the "policy making decisions"....That's where they're lacking!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mac,

Why do you say B.A.S.S sold out to the Big Dogs?

One rumor is that ESPN will use Ray Scott to oversee their new BFL tournament trails. Personally, I would like to see him being the emcee of the Classic later this month and be the weigh master at their tournaments.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
In my opinion,...BASS has never been the same since ESPN took over,......it's all about "profit and loss" now,...when Helen Sevier sold BASS to ESPN....it became a big business and the bean counters in NY started making decisions based on their "profit margins" vs. what was good for the sport. Face it,..the FLW has been dominating the trends of the sport lately, and BASS has gone from being the "leader" to being a panic stricken follower,..making decisions in reaction to what the FLW is doing. Hopefully BASS (with Ray's input if it happens) will start getting their act together and once again become a "pro-active" entity vs. a "reactive". It was a LOT better when Ray had the helm IMHO!!
Just my opinion anyway.......
Mac

Case in point,....check out BassFan.com and look up some of Harold Sharp's comments about ESPN and what they have done since taking over. I particularly liked his story about the meeting he was privy to when the CastingKid's program was on the Agenda.......an ESPN bean counter asked the group...."What is this Casting Kids thing anyway, and what is our profit margin on it?!"........(Not a good indication that "fishermen" are running BASS!!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ESPN and FLW are in the tournament business for a profit. BASS was also when it was under the guidance of Ray Scott.

Personally I have not fished a BASS event but my friends who do, have high praise for ESPN since taking over BASS.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If it wasn't for Irwin Jacobs coming along, the BASS people would still be paying $50,000 for the Classic and pocketing the rest. BASS has been doing nothing but playing catch up ever since the FLW Tour came about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Irwin Jacobs and FLW are in the business to make a profit too. He knows how to market a tournament trail. The Ranger Cup program has tournament anglers wearing Ranger shirts (myself included) in order to win Ranger money. What better way to advertise Ranger boats.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yes, they're BOTH in the business to make money,.......always have been. That's never been questioned. I totally agree with DRP,...ESPN/BASS has been playing "catch-up" ever since the FLW came on to the scene. I have worked several FLW Family Fun Zones and been involved with BOTH trails, and the FLW by far, is leading the way as far as growing the sport and bringing in the non-endemic sponsor money. Irwin is a billionaire and he's a very shrewd business man. He's the one calling the shots and making the final decisions for the FLW. When you have a spear head like that,..things can happen much faster! ESPN/BASS aren't nearly as fast as the FLW when it comes to getting things done and making changes. They're both fine organizations,......but given the growth of the sport over the past 5 years and the way we're headed now,...it's clearly evindent in my mind anyway, that Irwin and Co. are the real leaders in this whole thing, and ESPN/BASS are making their current decisions based on the FLW's proven successes!!
It should be VERY interesting to see what happens with BASS if and when Ray Scott comes back. But I only see that as a "figure head/spokesman" position.......ESPN will still be calling the shots........Ray will just call out weights!! LOL
IMHO anyway........only time will tell!
Mac

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may be the case that FLW is leading the way but as a professional bass angler, which event would you rather win...the Irwin Jacobs Championship or the Bassmaster Classic? The Classic still is the Super Bowl.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If I was a Pro trying to make a living on the trail.....it would be my goal to win BOTH!!! LOL

The BMC for the prestige and notoriety,...and the Jacob's cup for the initial shot of BIG$$$!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd rather fish for $500,000.00

Hey B.A.S.S.!
Show me the money.

And then give me a shot at it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Now that we have seen what a stellar job ESPN did with the Classic,...let's see what the FLW does with the Jacob's Cup in Sept. .....THEN we'll see who's really the "leaders" in this sport. Granted, it probably won't be covered "live" like ESPN attempted to do with the Classic, but lets see if BASS can still redeam themselves with the later coverage.
I was at the Classic's weigh-in and I saw the whole thing "live"......it was sad...even the ESPN Sports Center coverage was put together like it was all a big joke!! I heard MANY people at the event talking about the final weigh-in and the coverage,....very very few were happy about it!! I also talked to many "insiders" about the possibility of Ray coming back.....and most said,.."I seriously doubt it!!" Only time will tell........stay tuned!!

Mac

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Ray sure did seem happy to be on stage, and I am sure he would come back, but only on his terms....

I know the federation anglers in attendance sure do want him back (myself included).

Mini

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John,

I take it you were at the Classic? If so, did you hear any talk regarding BASS beginning their own BFL circuit next year?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I was at the classic working for my employer All Star Rods.....I did not hear anything about a BFL style Federation series while in New Orleans. I have read more about it on the internet and heard more scuttlebutt about it in Michigan. No one will know for sure unless it happens.

Mini

1 - 15 of 15 Posts