Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were home for 2 weeks at the end of the year (normal auto shutdown) and had a new gas fireplace installed the 2nd week of December.

Just got the bill......$300

OUCH...didn't think running it would be that high even though we ran the FP almost daily.

Does it seem normal? House is kept at 70 during day and 65 at night.

·
Registered
585 Posts
WOWZA!!!! That is awful high...how big is your house? Ours is 2300sq ft and I have a gas fireplace that I run almost every night and my heat is set at 72 degrees. Just looked at mine and it was only $118, which is about normal for us.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
we pay 128.00 a month all year around . and keep it at 69 when at work then 70 when at home auto thrmostat, set back kind. and use our fireplace every night.
plus have pilots going on pool heater ,that includes pool heater running in summer too. dont heat basement .ranch one floor

sounds high but they did say gas prices went up also.
do you have enough insulation in your attic at least R 19?
window leaks??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Usually there is a section that shows your current monthly usage and the monthly usage for the same month last year....wondering how many more units you used over last year? $300 seems pretty high unless your heating over 5000 square feet.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(MsCin @ Jan 15 2004, 08:58 AM)WOWZA!!!! That is awful high...how big is your house? Ours is 2300sq ft and I have a gas fireplace that I run almost every night and my heat is set at 72 degrees. Just looked at mine and it was only $118, which is about normal for us.
DITTO!

My friends who have a 9000 square feet house with 5 furnaces pay that much. Your house must be realllllllly big or you have a leak somewhere! You can't just leave the screen doors open all day in the winter you know!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Are you sure that isn't for TWO MONTHS??

We have 2680sqft & mine were about $220/mo last winter.

We also had a problem w/the heat being CRANKED UP to 80 DEGREES & left there! <_<

They started creeping up again this year, so I installed an auto thermostat. Even if SOMEBODY cranks it up, it automatically cuts it back on the next cycle.

Just rec'd last months bill for $180.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hey CBJ whats your gas bill. I'm guessing about 5 maybe 10 bucks.

Seeing how you got your own internal gas chamber to heat things up.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
House is 3000 sq ft. My wife told me the bill this morning. So I havn't seen the detail yet. Insulation seems good and I usually remember to shut the door and not leave it open all night!

·
12,052 Posts
Mine was $108. thats higher than normal. Better start wearing some clothes and lose the shorts until summer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, our place is 2000 sq feet and we keep it between 72 - 76. We just were emailed the bill & it only ran us $93 for last month. We haven't run the gas fire place all that much this year as last though.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
quit whining about your gas bills.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
right now i am sending out a little over 22,000,000. cubic feet an hour... talk about having gas <_< <_< <_<

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
actually it is for a monday, lots of places closed for MLK day. usually up over 30mil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts