Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Launched out of the jefferson dnr launch south of ginos at about 2:15 p.m. Got her to start right up. Got out about twenty or so yards and the motor cut out. Started right back up got about twenty more yards and boom stalled again. After second time decided to put her back on the trailer and go home and check out what was wrong. Got home and hooked up the earmuffs to her and she started right up and ran great. Called my buddies dad and he said to try putting her in a barrel of water. so i stuck the motor in a fifty gallon drum and same thing would run for a minute and then die so I called him back. He told me my timing advance was messed up on the distributor. Spent about four hours adjusting it and now I'm going to give her a try tomorrow morning. Hope she works. Also seen a lot of boats out there this afternoon. Hope all did well.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brother Heading out right now.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jul 8 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Launched out of the jefferson dnr launch south of ginos at about 2:15 p.m. Got her to start right up. Got out about twenty or so yards and the motor cut out. Started right back up got about twenty more yards and boom stalled again. After second time decided to put her back on the trailer and go home and check out what was wrong. Got home and hooked up the earmuffs to her and she started right up and ran great. Called my buddies dad and he said to try putting her in a barrel of water. so i stuck the motor in a fifty gallon drum and same thing would run for a minute and then die so I called him back. He told me my timing advance was messed up on the distributor. Spent about four hours adjusting it and now I'm going to give her a try tomorrow morning. Hope she works. Also seen a lot of boats out there this afternoon. Hope all did well.

Back in my younger days, before muffs a clean trash can filled with water always worked well

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hope today goes better. I have always preferred a big clean trash can. Just seems more like the real thing. I'm curious why the timing would be off with a barrel but not muffs. Anyone care to explain? Sorry I have to know the why as well as the what.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Was told today it is not the timing it is a bad wire going to the coil or the coil itself is bad. My neighbor used to be an outboard mechanic and he told me coil is going bad or has a bad connection. Also asked why it would run great with muffs and not in the water. He told me that the reason is will run with muffs and not on the water is that on the water the motor isn't under pressure. When you are in water or in a barrel the prop takes more power to be able to turn it. With just ear muffs the prop is under zero pressure.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Make sense to me. On the muffs it's under no load in the water it's under load. Works the same with cars,
idle fine but don't drive down the road for sh!$&*

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I was going to answer this but got distracted by Eagle Larry's avatar. LOL! Hope you figure it out bowtie...I wanna see that fresh ride on the water soon w/some in-water pictures.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
ya i know what you mean about eagle's avatar, but we will need pic's Scott when that thing get's in the water. i hope it doesn't run you to much to get a new coil i know i have to get my 15' out myself to run a tank thru it

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Jul 9 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Make sense to me. On the muffs it's under no load in the water it's under load. Works the same with cars,
idle fine but don't drive down the road for sh!$&*

Was there a mention of a boat???

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As long as the boat floats and doesn't leak to bad, half of the battle has already been won.

It just happens to be garage sale season and there are plenty of older motors out there that are going pretty cheap. If your already using an older motor, it doesn't hurt to have a spare or 2.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Isn't there a dealer or repair shop that deals with older motors. On "harper". Carl's or something?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 9 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you're using muffs like Larry's avatar it's no wonder it doesn't run right

... but who would care at that point? You would still be making those infamous "motorboat sounds" right? lmao
Or suffocate...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think I saw you at Jefferson and Shook around 3 pm , if it was you your rig looked really sweet, you'll get it figured out, what year and brand motor is it? I know my old Merc has a coil pack with a bunch of different color wires, its thunderbolt ignition, I took it to rose marine a year and a half ago and they got it running sweet, new seals rebuilt the carbs and some wiring and other stuff, cost me about 600 beans but no trouble since, I don't remember the gents name but he told what it might need and it only needed some of the stuff he mentioned in the estimate, nothing worse than breakin down ,good luck.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Jul 10 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I saw you at Jefferson and Shook around 3 pm , if it was you your rig looked really sweet, you'll get it figured out, what year and brand motor is it? I know my old Merc has a coil pack with a bunch of different color wires, its thunderbolt ignition, I took it to rose marine a year and a half ago and they got it running sweet, new seals rebuilt the carbs and some wiring and other stuff, cost me about 600 beans but no trouble since, I don't remember the gents name but he told what it might need and it only needed some of the stuff he mentioned in the estimate, nothing worse than breakin down ,good luck.
yes that was me I was there three times yesterday trying to figure it out. Last time I blew a gas line and had to be towed in by a real cool man and his two little ones and I offered him money and he said no but I got my way and told him to buy the kids some new fishing stuff or snacks at least and he finally asked the kids if they wanted some new fishing stuff or snacks and they said yes so I gave him twenty bucks. Didn't know what was fair. Figured I had twenty on me so it was all I had. Then I told him about our wonderful website here and he said he'd check it out sometime. Schram was also at the place yesterday with his van. Can't miss that thing.
My motor is a 1971 mercury 650 (65 horse). It has thunderbolt ignition also. I got it all nailed down I think now. I will be replacing the coil pack and all the fuel lines and rebuilding the fuel pump. If that don't fix it then I'll more than likely take it in.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh yes and thank you. I think she looks better everyday. Now that I got some sea weed and algae in her.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts