Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty interesting stuff, and the executive summary is written factually with an emphasis on PFD wear and alcohol use (IMO).

Some stats can be interpreted various ways; In 2008, there were only 5.6 deaths per 100,000 registered vessels (a number that has been somewhat steady for over ten years). How many UNregistered vessels are out there on a daily basis, and how many registered vessels never leave the driveway/storage lot? And not all states register vessels based on the same criteria.

Good information.
http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/Boat...istics_2008.pdf

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I tried finding that info for each of the Great Lakes and came up with nothing.

So far.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I wish they would break out what the CAUSE(s) of the accidents are versus what the CONTRIBUTING FACTOR(s) are.

When I went through safety training, it was explained that there are "unsafe conditions" and "unsafe acts". "Unsafe conditions" put you at RISK of an accident happening, but don't actually CAUSE an accident. "Unsafe acts" are things that WILL cause an accident, but it might take a few acts before it occurs. Running a red light would be an "unsafe act", whereas having poor brakes (and corresponding longer stop distances) would be an "unsafe condition"

Drinking and speed can fall under either catagory... a COUPLE drinks are probably an "unsafe condition", but excessive drinking (DRUNK), and operating a boat, would be an "unsafe act". Same with speed.... the faster you go will always decrease the time to make a decision, but going 100MPH in a crowded lake would make it an "unsafe act", and a CAUSE rather than a "contributing factor".

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
This report shows most fatalities occur in an open motorboat, under 26 foot of length, driven by a captain 36 to 55 years of age, between the hours of 12:30PM to 8:30 PM. The highest fatality month is November, the lowest is July.

In Michigan the fatality rates for the past 5 years are as follows:
2004 26
2005 26
2006 24
2007 30
2008 30

Very interesting! Thanks for posting Freckles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.