Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repairing & refinishing a teak swim platform and am planning on using "sikkins" to finish it. Any one have any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well here is how I do it and it seems to last me 2 to 3 years. I sand it to remove and of the greying. Then I wipe the entire thing down with mineral spirits(removes any oils from the surface of the wood that will keep the varnish from adhering). Once it drys again I apply light coats of Sikkens, in the shade, giving each coat time to dry thoroughly. The shine is very nice and like I said, it lasts a couple years each time. I just redid mine this year, before finding out about the other problems I have. Looks nice.

·
12,052 Posts
Like spider said, its important to sand it completely before applying sikkens. You have to use a scotch pad between coats though. scuff the entire platform with it between coats. When I had a teak platform I used 4 coats and after 4 years I sold the boat and it still looked great.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ May 5 2003, 04:01 PM)Like spider said, its important to sand it completely before applying sikkens. You have to use a scotch pad between coats though. scuff the entire platform with it between coats. When I had a teak platform I used 4 coats and after 4 years I sold the boat and it still looked great.
As hammer, spider said, sikkens is the way to go.
The prep work ( as always) is the most important.
I pretty much have done what they have said, only thing different, is after wiping it down with mineral spirits, i scrubbed it with regular ivory liquid soap, and a plastic bristlo brush (for car whitewalls, raised white letters)
you would be amazed at the dirt that came pouring out ! the soap bubbles were drk grey ! to black.
then applied sikkens, scuffing between the light coats.
I got 4 yrs out of it, and i sat in the water each summer.

I will be redoing my swim platform, and bow pualpette(sp) again this year.
Good Luck

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ May 6 2003, 11:05 AM)pulpit?

pulpit: the thingy on the front of the bow at wich the anchor sits on

hammer, do you have the correct spelling ?
atleast i didn't spell pance wrong

G

·
Have you ever thought about replacing it with one of those new composit or aluminum platforms?

Really nice, and it means...no more maintinance.

Just a thought!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts