Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also from our friends at Great Lakes Boating, I learned of legistlation in the works in Illinois that would force boat owners to lay a strip of reflective tape across the sides of their boats.

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Boat Registration and Safety Act. Provides that any watercraft requiring numbering must be equipped with reflective material, such as reflective tape, at least one inch wide, surrounding the entire hull of the watercraft, and visible when the watercraft is in the water.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 1
Provides that the reflective material must be on both sides of (rather than must surround the entire hull of) the watercraft. Provides that the Department of Natural Resources shall adopt rules for implementing the new provision.

What's your thoughts on this? It's becoming increasingly popular, and if it passes there, it could happen here....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I don't know if it would do much good. I don't think that the nav lights put out enough light to refelct off that tape more then 20 or 30 yrds out. If it does reflect alot I think it would distract your eye for the nav lights and cause you to have to stair to determin right of way. Maybe if you used red and green tape to complement the lights, but that would look like sh!t in the day light.

It would aid in search and resque with spot lights searching.

I assume this would only apply to boats registered in IL

If this includes shipping vessels registered in IL I'm gonna buy stock in 3M.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Stupid idea. Unllike cars, boats don't travel with headlights on at night. By the time someone sees the strip at a pretty good speed, it will could be too late in most cases.

Now, would boaters from Michigan have to comply with IL laws and always put on the strip as the enter IL waters?

G

·
Here's what I remember of the story I read on another site. A 12 year-old took a small boat out after dark without telling anyone and got lost on a lake. Her parents realized she and the boat were missing and they set out to search the lake with neighbors. They eventually found her unharmed, but the parents thought that if there was reflective tape, they would have found her sooner. This family happens to have a good friend, an Illinois congressman who introduced the legislation.

Anyway, I think it's stupid. Apparently they need a new law to prevent a tragedy that didn't happen in the first place. Maybe instead they should come up with a law that makes parents responsible for the cost of a search when their children steal a boat...

G

·
Let's see here, couldn't they just MAKE THE STATE REGISTRATION STICKER REFLECTIVE??? Everyone's got to have one on each side of their boat, and they don't look good anyway, so why not?? I've got an Illinois Senator to call....

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Aren't boats supposed to have running lights on past dusk anyways? Why not enforce the laws that are already on the books instead of dreaming up new ones (that no one's going to enforce...)?

One kid cops a runabout and can't be found for a couple of hours and a LAW is proposed to change what MY boat looks like???

I need to switch to decaf...

·
12,052 Posts
I say we all get disco balls and play kung foo fighting. Can I get a HEEEELLLLLL YAAAAAAHHHHHH?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.