Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were set on a Sea Ray 340 Dancer and through the wisdom of the forum postings, we have been introduced into the world of the Regal. I found one that looks great and is very local. Its a 360 Commodore with twin 454's. Owner blew an engine late last season so he replaced both with rebuilts. He replaced the one trans. with a brand new one (on engine that blew) and replaced the other with a rebuilt just to keep things even, I guess. Its a 1987, with all the canvass and electronics you could want and is at the same price level of the 340's we have been looking at.

Only problem is that we dont know much about the Regal reputation. So what are your feelings?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I have a regal only a 24 ft, but i think quality is good , at least compared to the bayliner i had , And warranty service was pretty good too.Emerald City. For ONLY A 24 FT it handles the rough water pretty good. nothing has vibrated loose on it since ive had it. verry little problems.
BEST BET THOUGH ASK HAZZY, DOLPHIN MARINE FOR HIS EXPERT ADVICE,, AND GET A SURVEY !

·
Registered
96 Posts
My parents had an early 80's 27' commodore. It was not the most reliable boat. It had many problems, including a cracked hull we got on a trip in Lake huron. My mom hated that boat. The boat was heavily abused before my dad bought it though. So that could be one source of the problems. Because of that experience, my parents do not like regal boats. Looking at the new ones though, if you ask me, Regals are much better made than Sea Rays. Not sure about how they were in the past though.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Mar 12 2004, 01:53 PM)BEST BET THOUGH ASK HAZZY, DOLPHIN MARINE FOR HIS EXPERT ADVICE,, AND GET A SURVEY !
Thank you Bob.

I own a SeaRay and I like the lines of SeaRays better. The quality of boat's as old as what you are looking at really has 85% to do with the previous owners habits. For resale, SeaRay has a bigger name and that's a big deal to some. Just because it has a bigger name does not mean it is a better boat than a Regal. I have looked at many of both and the percentage of Regals in better shape is higher than the percentage of Searay's in better shape. It all comes down to your preference and how the boat was kept in the past.

I hope that helps.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
I'm told that there is a big difference in the manufacture of the hull. SeaRay still uses the lay up fiberglass method, Regal uses a blow gun into a mold. Consequently if you crash a Regal you have a better chance of a tear in the fiberglass, as compaired to the glass/plywood/glass/finish of the SeaRay. Ask Boat Chicks man Bill~ He will tell you about the construction quality.

Remember I'm Joe the Taxman~SeaRay Owner....well I hope again soon some day.....

O' Great God of the Lake ...Please raise my water levels of my Lake ...Just a foot or three

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sea Ray... hand laid?
I remember Sea Ray being the originator of the "Chopper-Gun-Built" boat. They even used to brag in their ads about their quality control methods used to ensure adequate and consistent hull thickness versus the manufacturers still using "hand-laid" methods at the time. The only hand-laid glass you'll find on a typical Sea Ray is around the stringers and frames.

But honestly, I doubt there's much real difference in construction between the brands (Regal & SeaRay)... I have looked over several VERY NICE used Regals... the owners obviously took pride in their boats. A buddy of mine has a Commodore (36') and I like the layout as well as the interior construction materials (for the $$ spent).

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I would have to say Regal. I used to own a Sea Ray, bought it brand new. Had hull problems and didn't like how the company handled my problems. Left a real bitter taste in my mouth and I will probably never buy a product from them. I will definitely not give them good reviews to anyone about them. You need to buy what you like though. I love my Crownline, but I know people that don't like that brand either.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
QUOTE(Taxman @ Mar 12 2004, 02:57 PM)I'm told that there is a big difference in the manufacture of the hull. SeaRay still uses the lay up fiberglass method, Regal uses a blow gun into a mold. Consequently if you crash a Regal you have a better chance of a tear in the fiberglass, as compaired to the glass/plywood/glass/finish of the SeaRay. Ask Boat Chicks man Bill~ He will tell you about the construction quality.

Remember I'm Joe the Taxman~SeaRay Owner....well I hope again soon some day.....

O' Great God of the Lake ...Please raise my water levels of my Lake ...Just a foot or three

They say April showers
May bring flowers

Hopefully all of April we will get pleanty of showers and pleanty of water and it will help you out.
I also hope that our summers come back!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After we complete our Boat Smart Class this morning, we are headed out to our 270 to paint the hull (she's indoors right now) and a few other things before work this afternoon. The Regal 360 Commodore is on the way so we might have to stop in real fast for a quick look. I have enough pictures to do a virtual walk through, but there si nothing like "up close and in person"

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like it is mostly a matter of preference between these two, and as always, owner care.

Just think if i had asked about Sea Rays vs. Bayliners. Actually, dont think about that. It would leave a bad feeling in your brain.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Pirate Jim ...
Just a quick note If the boat has had problems in the past why make them your problems.

We are owners of 2 Sea Rays. Had great luck with our old one never any problems with it, but wanted larger size ... I am in the process of trying to sell it now 23ft ... Last year we stepped up to a 30ft Sundancer ....Absolutly love it ... The key was the previous owner was Mr ANAL. He had all the records for it and the boat was in mint condition. Its an 86 but had low hours. I talked with my Machanic who work on all kinds off boat and he said that Sea Rays are Very solid when it come to Hulls

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Mar 13 2004, 10:13 AM)With all the research I'VE been doing...I'm partial to Cruiser Yachts and Sea Ray...
Don't use those two names in the same sentence.

That's a bigger difference that SeaRay's and Regal's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My last boat was a 30' Regal and I have moved up to the 32' Regal which you may have sdeen at they bay. I have to say I have been extremely satisfied with both boats. They perform well and I didn't have problems with either. As with any used boat in the 80's, surveys are a must, but I really believe when looking at boats in the 80's you are looking for layout tht appeals to you and care of the yacht. Comparing brands that are that similar in quality is not as necessary as they quality of ownership. I have gone to many Regal Rendevous and have ssen the 360 model it does have a great layout. Twice last season I was parked next to SeaRAys at Put In Bay and both trips, the SeaRay owners expressed how much they liked my boat. Said they were very impressed and would consider Regals in the future. regals in the late 80's and Early 90's tend to not look as dated as the SeaRAys.

THis post was not biased by Sue (Promise) She is standing behind me bugging me waiting her turn to respond.

JIM

·
12,052 Posts
Hey Jim, I have your phone number, and I'm going out tonight.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
i like all those boats, jimcats boat is very nice.
hammers cruiser yacht is very nice as is a searay. why not use in same sentence?
i have an old 87 thompson 30 ft i never had a problem until i investigated one, then i was like f**k, soft transom, due to not beng wrapped in glass, but rest of boat is good.
hey heres one,...tracker, searay, cruiser yacht, bayliner....LOL !

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Mar 13 2004, 06:28 PM)hey heres one,...tracker, searay, thompson, bayliner....LOL !

Yep, pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In researching the various boating sites over the last few years, I've read complaints and praises about almost all the manufacturers: Regal, Cruisers and Sea Ray (and others). Every manufacturer has its problem boats/designs and occasional lemons. I agree with the other comments about the importance of a meticulous prior owner and about getting a thorough survey, including hull, mechanical and sea trial. If I were buying a used boat, I'd also sit down with an insurance agent (Eric Kinney in my case - a sponsor) and try to get feed back on the number and type of insurance claims for a particular manufacturer, year and model of boat I may be interested in.

When I bought my last boat, I felt Cruisers and Sea Ray were similar in quality of construction below the deck (some things Sea Ray did better and other things Cruisers did better). For the size I was looking at, I liked the layout and fit and finish on the Sea Ray more than the Cruisers - strictly a personal preference. By the time the same features were added to one or the other, price wasn't significantly different. I never looked at the construction of the Regal below deck since the cockpit layout didn't fit our needs/wants and I liked the Sea Ray fit and finish better -- but again just a personal preference and not a criticism of Regal. I know many Regal owners who swear by them. If everything checks out and you're happy with the boat, that is all that matters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts