Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? Caught fish at area and and released them in area B with the intention of being able to catch them in a future event. What are your thorughts about this? Do you believe that it would work on Largemouth, Smallmouths or both.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There was a good article in this months Bass N Times about the releasing of fish and how long they take to return to the area they were caught in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you are talking about moving fish from one area to another in preparation for a tournament then I'm pretty sure a lot of people have done it. I don't know about the tournaments over there too much but I do know that up here in Canada it is a violation of the rules in most tournament organizations. I would think twice about doing it if it were me. Brad

·
Registered
927 Posts
im just curious why someone would want to move the fish to area B if they are already catching them in area A.

madman himself

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know of plenty of guys that do it over here on the Grand River. They catch fish all week and dump them on a key piece of structure or dock. I think the key is to make sure the fish dont have anything else to move to immediately. It only has worked for me on a few occassions. Not enough to make it worth the while. I will just make my milk runs throughout the day.

I cant imagine it working very good on Clair!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(madman24 @ Jul 1 2003, 05:05 AM)im just curious why someone would want to move the fish to area B if they are already catching them in area A.

madman himself

Might not want to run all the way to the first spot, or maybe ya feel that the fish would be happier in their new location if it had the right cover, food, water depth, etc.

I know up north I used to catch Brook Trout and bring them back in 5 gallon buckets to a canal we had. It was spring fed and emptied into the river but we put up a barrier so they couldn't escape. That was till spring and high water would come. Anyway, we used to have a blast fly fishing for them all summer long.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I dont feel that relocating bass to a spot in order to catch them in a tournament would be considered a sportsmanlike approach to the game. Nor do I think it would be very effective in St Clair, the smallies move enough on their own!

Mini

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here is Rule 16 from the Canadian Fishing Tour and Canadian Open....

16 STOCKING OF FISH: Transporting bass for the sole purpose of stocking an area for a future tournament during the 2003 tournament season is prohibited. Possession of bass during official pre-fishing hours is prohibited.

I haven't checked any other rules for this except the Everstart Series (This isn't mentioned) but I believe they all should adopt something similar. Due to recent events, FLW Outdoors should also adopt a mandatory license check as does the CFT.

Just my two cents,

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do know that I caught a smallie at the south channel that was tagged a few years ago and called in info on the tag. The fish had been tagged at Harley launch less than a week prior to that!..

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(cruncherbaits @ Jul 15 2003, 11:17 PM)I do know that I caught a smallie at the south channel that was tagged a few years ago and called in info on the tag. The fish had been tagged at Harley launch less than a week prior to that!..
I caught a tagged Walleye in Alpena that the DNR said was tagged in the Titabawasee R. almost a year earlier. This months bass article was very interesting on how long the fish stick around.

I also think that the Canadian rule would be very difficult to try and enforce, except for the possession part. If I fish one event and my fish are released at a given launch can I be disqualified if I fish another event in which I intend to go and fish the previous release point?

What about the people that fish at or near the release point on day two of a tournament trying to get some of the released fish? Is that sporting or should that area be made off limits? How should different launches be handle, in that if you launch from Harley Ensign and know that Metro just had a tounament there. Should Metro also be off limits?

My opinion is that the launch area for that tournament should be off limits and not other launch sites around the lake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts