Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm pretty new to this site, I have a question for you guys. I have a 14' Smokercraft Aluminum boat, I bought it last year for 1200 with a 1986 9.9 Evirude long shaft and the boat leaks a little bit. I can be out on the water all day and get 1/2 gallon of water, but I want to stop it for good. Can I seal it with a silicone and let that dry up good and then rhino liner the inside? I would like to put the liner in so its not so slippery too. Thanks for all the information guys, be safe this year on the lake.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Depending on what's leaking, and how bad it is, if you're going to use a chemical sealant, use 3M 5200 or 4200. The 5200 is considered permanant, and for all intents, it is. That's if it's just a leaky rivet or seam. If it's a structural issue it would need a proper repair before you move on.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Find the leak , like Jeff said. Then determine the fix. Do a search on here about the rivets. It came up last year. You may want to post it in the boathouse.
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Don't use the Rhino Liner! Buck the rivets and then use Gluvit. Go to Iboats.com. they have repair tips galore there. Go to the Starcraft section, there are many aluminum boats that people are restoring. There is how to's on bucking rivets and Gluvit. Check out the restoration forum there.

Anyone from the "Starcraft" section has regretted using the Rhino Liner. I'm starting a light restore on a 1970 Starcraft 18 foot aluminum myself. If mine leaks I'll buck and Gluvit. There are a least thirty people that have done this repair. Doesn't look hard and really works. You might have to replace a rivet or two. There are pictures and instructions on that as well.

No Rhino Liner until you've checked out the Gluvit option. I bet you change your mind.

Don

I just thought of something else. I assumed this boat is of the riveted design. Please disregard the above advice if it is welded. Still find advice on Iboats.com though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts