Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are not a bad boat at all, good price and good layouts. If you find one you like and want a book value or any info call me I would be glad to give you some comparison numbers
Sue 586-772-4200

·
Registered
179 Posts
My buddy bought a 232 captiva brand new at the boat show a couple years ago. He takes pretty good care of it. The seats are all ripping at the seams, he's had numerous electrical problems with the blower, bilge pump and stereo system. The canvas started losing buttons immediately, the fiberglass in the cabin has cracks and he's had it in for work many times because the fuel filler was poorly designed and you could never fill the tank up. I thought it was a great boat when he got it and helped him pick it out. I thought he was making a good choice. Maybe his boat was a fluke, but I don't think he would buy another rinker and I wouldn't consider one now either.
Just my opinion!

I should say, though, that rinker was very good about helping him with these problems and some could be considered normal wear. The boat has never left him stranded and many good times have been had on it, with many more to come. Just check the boat really good if you want to get one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
QUOTE(budcouch @ Jul 23 2003, 06:23 AM)My buddy bought a 232 captiva brand new at the boat show a couple years ago.

First rule of thumb on buying a boat.....NEVER buy a brand new one unless you got money to throw away!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
have heard there a cheaper boat , from people , we thought about one too, but wound up buying a new regal, think all boats have there little problems. have heard guys with new sea rays complain. get the extended warranty , for piece of mind. what ever you buy,my .02 any ways. think emrald city is starting to carry rinkers there pretty good about service, there and warranty, i allways deal with guy name dino.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently on my second Rinker and have had nothing
but good luck with them both. The first one was 1993
Fiestiva 230 - besides changing the oil and gear lube I
never put another dime into maintenance on it - and it
had close to 500 hours when I traded it in this past
winter.
I currently have a Fiesta Vee 250 - and besides a few
minor things (mostly bad prepping on the part of the
dealer) the boat has been fantastic.
I did a lot of research of similar size boats before taking the plunge for a new one, and based on the standard equipment, layout, price, and the good luck with my other one, I don't regret buying another rinker for a second!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we (jetski and I) appreciate all the replies. jetski bought a 270 Fiesta Vee last week and he should be receiving it on thursday.

last night we were talking to some people and they didn't have a real positive attitude. we've seen a lot of rinker's at our marina, and we wanted to know other peoples opinions (probably should have asked prior to making the purchase).

i know bayliners had a bad rap, but i heard there has been much improvement in their quality. i was hoping that rinker didn't take over for the bad quality.

there's always a bad apple in the bunch whether it's with a car or boat. hopefully we didn't get a rotten one.
we feel we made a good choice. hopefully we'll be saying that for the next many years.

G

·
I think they got their bad rap back in the 80's and early 90's. Rhymes with "stinker" or rhymes with "sinker" was the standard answer, like "Oooo... it's the Cadillac of boats" was for Sea Ray. I've read an opinion online from the guy who surveyed my last boat who says they have come a long way in quality since then and are a very good value. There can always be a dog here or there, but it seems like they are making solid boats these days.

And I've got to agree with the used comment. Price them out new and check Boattraderonline. There are lots of deals out there and it's a buyers market.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(rerun @ Jul 23 2003, 11:45 AM)Congrats on the new boat! So did he get it new?
he bought it new! he didn't want to try and sell his boat, and they only way the dealer would take a trade-in was to buy a new boat.

·
12,052 Posts
Hey Julie, John and Sherri next to Hop love theirs and would buy another one. Congrats.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(MsCin @ Jul 23 2003, 07:14 AM)First rule of thumb on buying a boat.....NEVER buy a brand new one unless you got money to throw away!!
I agree. Why buy a trouble free boat with a warranty that looks awesome when you can have someone's beat up, neglected, faded, abused, crunched, food and drink spilled all over, pecker marks every where (Eddie's boat), half wore out boat??

Good rule of thumb!

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(MsCin @ Jul 23 2003, 07:14 AM)First rule of thumb on buying a boat.....NEVER buy a brand new one unless you got money to throw away!!
That's what boating is.....throwing money away.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Congrats on the boat, there are quite a few Rinkers in our marina very nice looking boats. As for buying used or new it depends on the boat I guess. I got a great deal on a very clean used Searay. But you have to do your homework or like hammer said you could end up with a POS. Hope to see you guys enjoying your new toy.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 23 2003, 12:40 PM)QUOTE(MsCin @ Jul 23 2003, 07:14 AM) First rule of thumb on buying a boat.....NEVER buy a brand new one unless you got money to throw away!!
I agree. Why buy a trouble free boat with a warranty that looks awesome when you can have someone's beat up, neglected, faded, abused, crunched, food and drink spilled all over, pecker marks every where (Eddie's boat), half wore out boat??

Good rule of thumb!

Ask JJII how big a hit she's gonna take on the sale or trade in of the boat she purchased new. Even a one season old boat is gonna have a huge depreciated price. With all the problems reported on new boats I'll take my chances on a used one that is checked by a surveyor and mechanic along with a good sea trial. There are tons of people who bought new boats over the last couple years who find they can no longer afford them and are practically giving them away. Hard time to be selling a boat now. If I had some spare $$$ I'd be upgrading right now, but I don't want two payments and I know it would be hard to sell what I have right now.

The only way I'd considered going new on a boat is if it was a very high quality name and a boat I was considering keeping for a long long time (10 years or so).

G

·
Yeah, when you figure the monthly payment, don't forget to add in the depreciation hit when you sell to figure cost of ownership. I've heard of people who have lost 20K on a boat that was a "good deal" new after owning it a year. Everybody's got different priorities, but I'm too cheap to risk that kind of loss.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jetski definately wanted a trouble-free boat, and he bought the extended warranty. Jetski really liked the Regal, but it was more than what the budget called for. He got a decent rate on the loan..5.75...15 year loan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts