Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since 09/09
205 Posts
Went there a few years back while attending some Raymarine training in Cleveland, OH. It is a very interesting place. I think it is worth seeing. I am not sure I would make a special trip, but that is just my opinion.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I went once. It is pretty interesting. Not sure that you will see any Pantera exhibit though
(love Pantera by the way).

Many great guitars to look at. I saw a great Jimi Hendrix video there. Unique memorabilia from some great bands.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have not been to the Rock Hall of Fame, but if you were going to go in the warmer months, I would suggest planning a side trip to the William G. Mather Museum nearby. She is a retired lake freighter and one time flagship of the Cleveland-Cliffs SS Co. (She is part of the Great Lakes Science Center, too, but I have to admit, I would go just for the ship.) She's currently closed for the winter.

Web site is here:
http://wgmather.nhlink.net/

William G. Mather is a very interesting ship with a great history, but is a great example of asinine thinking and utter ignorance in regard to historic preservation. The ship, in its original paint scheme, would have carried the colors of Cleveland-Cliffs, a fleet with a tremendous significance and long, proud history of service on the Great Lakes. The Cliffs colors were very distinctive: black hull, pea-green cabins, black stack with large red "C", and red decks. The fleet disappeared in the early 1980s.

The officials in Cleveland decided that they didn't like that color combination, however, and made the museum paint the ship's cabins white, which they NEVER WERE historically. Then, so that it complemented the Rock Hall of Fame, a red, zig-zag racing stripe was painted along the ship. Totally inauthentic and just plain stupid.

That major complaint aside, she is otherwise a great museum and definitely worth a visit.

Another museum ship that's even closer, in Toledo, is another Cliffs boat, Willis B. Boyer, once the largest bulk freight ship in the world when launched in 1911 as Col. James M. Schoonmaker. They are trying to really improve the ship and do some new things, including a restoration to her original name and paint scheme under Shenango Furnace colors. I see great things ahead for that project, too.

Boyer Web site here: http://www.willisbboyer.org/

Source for historic Mather photo taken by Peter Worden 1980, from 1989 MHSD Calendar.

Current Mather photo

·
Registered
310 Posts
sometime around the turn of the century I went down to the Cleveland boat show on a friday. We got to the hall before noon, but some idiot didn't check the time when the boat show opened. The show didn't open till 5 or something like that.
So me and the gal are sitting in this empty Cleveland parking lot in the middle of winter without a clue. Then it just clicked to hit the R&R hall. Had a great time. I thought the tickets were a bit much, but overall we both thought it was worthwhile. Could have probably spent some more time there, lots to see and mess with.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 20 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and i was hoping for a dimebag tribute

There should be for sure. I miss him. That whole thing was a tragic shame. Fortunately I was able to see Pantera live several times and also meet Dimebag and the band once. Have their autographs. What an awesome bunch of guys.

Are you a Down fan? I am a huge fan. Saw Down three time at Harpos and met the band outside after one of the shows. Man, I miss those days.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jan 21 2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 20 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and i was hoping for a dimebag tribute

There should be for sure. I miss him. That whole thing was a tragic shame. Fortunately I was able to see Pantera live several times and also meet Dimebag and the band once. Have their autographs. What an awesome bunch of guys.

Are you a Down fan? I am a huge fan. Saw Down three time at Harpos and met the band outside after one of the shows. Man, I miss those days.

if you mean system of a down then hell yes im down with the down.

this was posted in the fishing hole
YouTube - System of a Down-Toxicity, Drum Cover, 5 Year Old Drummer, Jonah Rocks

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I do love System of a Down, however I am talking about Down. CHECK THEM OUT HERE!

Spectacular rock music. Phil Anselmo (Pantera), Rex Brown (Pantera), Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity), Jimmy Bower (EyeHateGod), Kirk Windstein (Crowbar). Three albums recorded so far. You have GOT to check out their first album at least. Totally kick a$$!

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
I'll second Convincor's recommendation of Down. Much different sound than System of a Down, but in my opinion, much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts