Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am looking to get some new rods for bass fishing, probably mostly for smallie fishing. I fish in a local bass club and a buddy and I fished a couple federation events last year. Anyways, I am ready to step it up and buy some real rods. What should I be looking at G.Loomis, All-Star, Falcon? And if I get a G.Loomis is there much of an advantage to a IMX over a GL3 over a GL2, etc. I'll sit back and listen, give me some advice. Thanks.

Eric C.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
ALL-STAR, ALL-STAR, ALL-STAR, ALL-STAR.

Mini's got some great deal's contact him. 50% off i hear.

HURRY HURRY!!!! Don't wait.

h2o<--------most bang for the buck!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
All-Star seems to be the brand of choice on the board. I think Mini strong arms everyone into using them
. Just kidding, they are a nice rod. Although I have yet to own one.

I use all BPS brand rods. The price is right, they have an excellent return policy, and I live minutes away. Which is very important for someone a bullish and clumsy as me. I use all 6'6" Extreme spinning rods in medium or medium heavy action. Very good sensitivity and action. Baitcasters I use the Tourney Special. Dirt cheap and is a great work horse rod for chucking spinnerbaits or cranks. Soft action tip is great for fast moving baits. It also has a good backbone. I believe the more expensive/higher graphite rods are not as well suited for fast moving baits. Too stiff.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I also use All Star rods. I also use rods built on All Star blanks by Gregg Monbleau from Anchor Bay Tackle. Both are sweet. I just like picking my own colors from wrappings etc. Still on your side John. I need a XH jerk bait rod for Muskie.
Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To expand on my question, how much would a All-Star, G.Loomis, Falcon rod increase the sensitvity on soft bites over a Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shop rod. Also, how much of a difference is there between a $99 All-Star rod and a $199? Please help me justify paying so much money for a fishing rod.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
The more you love the sport of fishing the more the cost is justified i think.

Just like golf clubs, tools, ect. you get what you pay for, one won't torque with a wrench that's got taiwan stamped on it,give me a craftsman. Oh craftsman,, when they break you take them back and get a replacement.

As far as i know the same guarantee come's with the ALL-STAR-ROD.

h2o<-------says mini will explain it to you.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Made in the USA should sell the rod by itself. For a rod with a lifetime warranty, spending $200 is worth it. You get what you pay for. Go with the All Star.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you can spare the money for the titaniums' go with them they are very nice rods, the crankbait rods they have are all so nice rods, and yes Mini's strong arm has been up north here to.. LOL

Bob

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
100 bux...lol, just kidding. The old adage that "you get what you pay for" is somewhat true in fishing equiptment, especially rods. But there is a limit as to how much any person can spend or needs to spend. You have to find that budget comfort zone and get the best quality and warranty that is in your price range, and yet get a rod that is sensitive and has the right action for your style of fishing. By making our own blanks (close to 700 different ones), its a good bet All Star has the right length and action you are looking for AND sells it in a series of rods that is in your price range.

The difference between the Classic Series (about 60-80 bux MSRP) and the Titanium Series (about 200 bux MSRP) is the materials, the weight, the guides and the handle. We at All Star design the actions and lengths to be similar based on the types of materials that are used. The higher grade of graphite, the lighter and therefore more sensitive (and expensive) it is. The opposite is true for the lower priced rods.

All Star basically sells different lines of rods in different price points so that almost anyone can afford the MADE IN THE USA quality and the LIFETIME warranty.

Now I can argue about whos is better, whos is cheaper, whos is more sensitive. You should be the judge of that. One thing I can tell you is that you cannot find a more sensitive, lightweight, MADE IN THE USA with a lifetime warranty for the money anywhere other than All Star!

If you are wanting any more of the rods listed in the swap and sell, you better hurry. Friday is the last day for those, then they ship back to Houston. Then Monday so do I.

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
I currently have all G-Loomis rods, but am unhappy with the direction that the quality has taken. It now costs you a ton to send them back to the factory and I have multiple rods that need it. They are very light and sensitive, but I will be converting over to All Star. Too many problems for me to deal with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have used several rods on the market and All Star is what I use cause they can take brutal abuse. To many other rods bust just from taking abuse while running rough water.I still have All Star's from the early 90's that have gone on EVERY trip with me and have stayed in one piece. I cannot say that about any other rods I've used. It's nice to have the great warrenty, but it's even sweeter not having to use it. And No Alex, Mini doesn't strong arm me, I'm bigger than him-LOL

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
All this talk makes me think back to when I was about 15 years old and I got my first All Star for Christmas about 16 years ago. It was a 6' 6" WR1 model and I think it went for $149.00. I thought I was big man on campus back then with that rod. They called it 'The Ultimate Worm Rod', and I thought I was gonna be the best worm fisherman on earth with that thing!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
It still is the ultimate worm rod! Our best selling model nationally....

You know Jon, when you weighed in 18 punds of Largeheads in that Everstart a few years back, I thought you WERE the ultimate largehead man!

Mini

·
Registered
467 Posts
I own All Star and St. Croix and can say both are awesome rods. My advice would be match the rod to the application. I use St. Croix Pro Glass rods for crankin', and at $70 bucks a piece, they are WELL worth it (I don't really care for the guides on these though - but you can't expect SiC or Alconite guides on a $70 rod). I use St. Croix Avid rods for my spinning needs (jerkin', topwater, tubes, and wormin' mostly), and at approx $150 a piece, the light-weight and sensitivity of these rods justifies the price. I use St. Croix Premier series baitcasting rods for chuckin' spinnerbaits and buzzbaits (the least costly of the graphite St. Croix models - no need, in my opinion, to spend big money on a spinnerbait/buzzbait rod - if you don't know when a fish slams either of those baits, then there's something wrong :)). For heavy jigging, pitching and flipping, I use an All Star Titanium baitcaster...very nice rod indeed - awesome sensitivity, light-weight, and great guides. If you have a couple hundred bucks laying around, definitely get a hold of Mini before he sends his sample rods back...You RARELY get a chance to own a new $200 rod for $100.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts