Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an All Star 845MS Tube Rod and got to use it a few times this fall. I love the Rod action & power but it feels real tip heavy with a stradic reel on it. I see that some companies (BPS) offer a weight balancing system you add to the butt of the rod, any rod on the market. Are these any good?

I have two rods that have the XPS balancing system that screws into the butt & I love them. They feel so light & give a ton of feel to the rod tip. I see these other kits only attach with a cap. If they are worth it, I will add these to all of my rods.

Has anybody used these other systems that I could fit on my All Star rod. Will it give me the same feel of my XPS Rods? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I've never used the slip on weights, but do use the screw on weights. I don't see why there would be any difference between the two. The only issue I can see would be the cap sliding off. In that case you could always glue it down.

I'm a firm believer in a properly balanced rod. Especially when dragging or verticle jigging. I do quite a bit of the later and it is easier to keep your rod in the proper position and improve your feel. It also also helps when casting. Less wear and tear on your arms and improved distance.

Sometimes you don't realize the difference untill you grab a rod that you may not have had time to properly balance yet after you've been using a balanced rod all day. You can really tell.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I hear so many people rave about how well balanced rods and reels perform. Every time I'm in BPS the weights always find their way into my basket but by the time my basket is up to around $100 and I have to cull down to $50 or so, they never make the cut

I don't doubt that they work but they just never seem to be more important than the rest of the stuff in my basket. I have 3 spinning rigs that I use for tubes, grubs, drop-shot and other "finesse" type tactics. I suppose I should make more of an effort to balance those rigs this winter.

Marke

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
What size reel are you using? What series is the rod? I have heard people say this before, but they are usually using small reels (BPS 20, or Shimano 2000 series). I helped design the Classic Series Tube Rod Special and it should be used with a large reel in my opinion (BPS 40, Shimano 4000 series). I use larger and heavier reels than most people for a few reasons. Bigger spool = longer casts, bigger spool = less twist/memory of the line, bigger spool = larger drag washers, and it helps balance a longer rod. I use an XPS Johnny Morris Signature Series in the "40" size for that rod.

The theory of balancing a combo so it sits level is a great idea, the rod feels lighter and has more sensitivity when at its balance point but when I am using certain techniques I dont want the rod to be level. I would like the balance point to be either above level or below it. I like the rod tip above level for "working" a tube, burning spinnerbaits, topwaters, flippin and pitching, worming, etc. Below level for cranking, dragging tubes (the 845MS Classic Series Tube Rod Special was designed for this), slow rolling spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, vertical jigging (I like the tip close to the water for better hook sets) and others. "Around" level would be rat-l-traps, carolina rigging, basically anything that you want to "sweep" set the hook.

The systems that are out there do work. The BPS one is pretty slick, I used it before I started using All Star. I also used the slip on ones before that. The kind that come with some lead and you fine tune it with quarters. At times they have a tendency to fall off, but electrical tape works well to hold em on. Remember that you are still adding extra weight to the rod that you will be slinging around al day. In the end you will feel a difference because of it, or you will feel no fatigue at all. It depends on how the rod is weighted to your personal preference.

Alex and Marke, I have a reel box FULL of the weights for the BPS rods, a few of the caps and a bunch of the ends that come on the rod. Let me know if you want some....

Mini

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with Mini. Upsize your reel, and you will gain all of the benefits he stated along with balancing your rod. I mainly use Daiwa 2500's and a couple 3000's and they work great. I've never been a fan of adding the lead weights to the butt of the rod. Balancing at the reel requires much less weight to achieve the desired balance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I argree with Mini, most people put too small a spinning reel on their rods to balance it properly. On the other hand, I do use slip on weights for my Muskie rods. Sensitivity is not the issue, but they certainly reduce fatigue when tossing 3-4 oz. lures all day.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I know VanDam also preaches using the larger 4000 type series reels. I do see the advantage when it comes to some of the areas Mini & Esox mentioned. I've just never been able to make the switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts