Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently been getting into the sport alot more and am having troubles finding the fish. I am docked out at Pud's Place marina near Belle River. I have had some good days and bad days out around there mostly a mile or two out. Was having some sucess with the smallies and perch but the last two weeks the fish must have moved. I have been going out around the 2 mile marker in about 10-12fow. Some people have told me about the hump? What is that all about? What works there and what are they pulling in? Any general advice would be much appreciated!

I have been pulling in the smallies with dark green tubes and perch with 1.5" minnows. Sometime craws work.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
The hump is an excellent place to fish for bass and muskie. I'm not fimiliar with the launch you mentioned but sounds like you are close. First get yourself a good lake map. The hump should be easy to target from there. Drifting and casting tubes are very effective. We all have our favorite colors which probably means it really doesn't matter. Anything natural will work. Work the top of the hump (12'-15') and the edges (15'-18') till you find them. Keep an eye on your sonar for irregular bottom areas and fish them hard. As fall approaches the shoreline areas will start to come alive (3'-8')

·
Registered
397 Posts
Voodoo,

I think what everyone is refering to as "the hump" is actually the "Belle River Hump". It is a submerged point at the south end of the lake.

It is very easy to locate on any chart or map that shows bottom contour.

Good luck,

Marke

·
Registered
262 Posts
The fish have moved further out into the lake (at least before the storm). We were catching some perch and bass east of the weather buoy (which is roughly) North of the Belle River) but further out, haven't measured but would guess 4-5 miles out from your marina. I think as the water cools, your spots should start to hold fish again.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Rookie: Alot of times you'll do good and expect to go back the next day to the same spot and do the same. Well you caught all the fish there and they remember you. Meaning they have sore lips and are healing. So Move around if there's no action in 15 min. Moving always opens up a brand new avenue to finding fish. If you see diving birds blast there. There feeding on minnow's and the fish feed under them. Also do alot of drifting if you and your buddy get double's throw a marker out and drift awhile and come back anchor and pick the plate of spaggettii clean... Also use as light as line as possible. I suggest 4 or 6 lb smoke fireline.. Read the instructions on how to spool it. The 4lb. being first choice and marry it with a 1/8th oz. ball head jig, and a 3 inch berkley power grub, Use white or pumpkin colors or any color will do, as you experiment... Try the white first and you will have the formula for catching fish.

h2o<------says hope this helps and let me know how u do!!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well normally I think that 15 minutes is not long enough. Last Sunday I was in a tournament on the pond and my first spot which was showed to me was dead. After about 45 minutes and one dink I decided to go to the channels and try my luck in the moving water. Then at the wiegh in I was informed that the spot turned on 30 minutes after I left and 1st, 3rd,4th and 5th place came from that spot and most anglers were culling all day. I heard some angler caught as many as 40 keepers off that spot.
The moral to the story is go with your gut feeling, now that I look back I left a spot that I new was good to look for other spots, but that can pay off to. This is a sport of decision some good and some bad, Sunday I made a bad decision...I geuss that is fishing!!!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Moving can be a couple of hundred feet in the same area.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I know where Pud's is at. Cada's for all the old timer's. Follow Rick ***** out. He will put you on fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts