Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i havent been out on st clair ice fishing since high sch00l(class of 81) so that speaks for itself.

My son was watching michigan outdoors and seen them ice fishing and i asked if he would like to try and he said yes(he is 8).

Well i borrowed my buddies stuff-shanty, poles,heater, tipups

Well this is were you guys comein. I boat fish the lake alot for those who dont know me, but ice fishing-well

Im thinking crocker or hall road
Thursday morning
We will be walking -so we arent going out a few miles

what do you think? any advice
techniques?
bait?
etc?

im more worried about just keeping him busy and not as worried about size

thnaks in advance

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Nothing is better than a father and son fishing outing, it's tops. Park in the DNR ramp on jefferson there by crocker and walk out in front of Gino's You'll see out there where ppl are. Use horizontal tear drops and wax worms and minnows. Be careful he doesn't step in someone's old hole and get a soaker. Lite line 2lb test will get you some fish. Keep it 6 inch's off the bottom and you should do ok. Let us know how you do. Keep it simple.

h2o<---- anything else you need just post here.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Metro is another option, not much walkin involved, fishing in the lagoons can be good, try that if you want. Tie the horizontal jig direct to the 2lb. test. Lite line can make all the differance. White,carturuse, or brown are good colors to start with. Make sure the wax worms don't burst when putting them on the hook and put them on the tail part not the head of the waxie. If they burst just put another one on. Make sure you hide the point of the hook in the waxie. When you get there look around and if you see fish on the ice get close to them, you know fish are being caught there.

h2o<---says keep it simple.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you are looking for a short walk you can also try Blossom Heath 3 blocks south of 10 mile on Jefferson. You don't need to walk more than 50 to 100 yards there. Last couple of times I have been out there the fishing has been spotty but should be improving as this month ends. Same tactics work here as everywhere else.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My suggestion is to bring along an alternative thing for him to do. I'm not trying to be funny but...as a parent of 2 children I know the attention span of an 8 year old and it's nice to have that backup thing for them to do just in case they become temporarily bored during a slow period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts