Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I am just starting the first phase of a large perennial garden in my yard..but the grass is so dense it's almost impossible to get a shovel through it. alot of the yard is bent grass (like on a putting green)
anyone ever use a rototiller for this purpose = grinding up the grass so I can plant over it ?
and gotta find a place to rent one.
I actually wanted to get a sod cutter to remove the grass...but hub insists a rototiller would be better.....except that only delays the start...coz now I've got to find one !
Ideas anyone ??

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
At first I thought you said you needed a Rottweiler.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just called there..thanks stodge...
they rent at 60.00 for 4 hrs.
chit..almost half of that 4 hours would be driving time !

I wonder if it wouldnt be smarter just to buy one ?

Redtail said there was a rental place on 23 gratiot...(not home depot)
can't find it... evidently their prices are better ?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just called there..thanks stodge...

Your husband is a smart man.... He sent you on a wild goose chase to delay a project till fall

Home Depot should rent them for the day and for not much more money.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
I have done that with a rototiller before, it is tough, and time consuming. Your first pass or two is basically dragging the tines over the grass to break it up and loosen the roots, the next two to four passes you can gradually go deeper, but really slowly or that thing will buck you around like crazy(found that out the hard way
) Then 4-6 more passes depending on desired depth and your current soil quality. If you can, cut and roll the sod up first, I did that with my 10'x10' garden at home, way easier.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just called there..thanks stodge...

Chet's Rental is north of 23 Mile on Gratiot.
You could always spray round-up on it... it will kill everything green. You will have to wait approx. 10 days before planting anything after spraying.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup..thats it. Steve (redtail) saw my post and called me.
Thanks for the help.
It appears that Chet's is a bit more reasonably priced.
A very kind gesture...someone offered to let us use theirs...
but yanno....
I guess I'd rather be buying myself a new one than replacing
one we borrowed that tanked

Those buggers are expensive and while I appreciate the generous offer...
I think we'll go with the rental.

Thanks All !

ps...in the interim...I ran out to a local nursery and found 4 gallon perennials for 4 dollars !
and several small perenninals for 1.00! so....we'll definitely be needed to get these and the
truckload of others Ive bought over the last few weeks into the ground !

and no..round up wouldnt be first choice for me....I'd really rather prepare the bed with a good
soil mixture right from the start. and awaiting another 10 days is out of the question

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yup..thats it. Steve (redtail) saw my post and called me.
Thanks for the help.
but yanno....

Thanks All !

ps...in the interim...I ran out to a local nursery and found 4 gallon perennials for 4 dollars !
and several small perenninals for 1.00! so....we'll definitely be needed to get these and the

and no..round up wouldnt be first choice for me....I'd really rather prepare the bed with a good
soil mixture right from the start. and awaiting another 10 days is out of the question

If you are renting stuff consider renting a sod cutter as well. It will be easier to prepare the soil if you remove the grass. If you don't have a lot of grass to remove you can buy a manual sod cutter for a small area.

Where did you get the perennials? We don't buy any flowers unless they are on clearance. We are slowly filling our flower beds with perennials to save on annuals.

Matt

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ps...in the interim...I ran out to a local nursery and found 4 gallon perennials for 4 dollars !
and several small perenninals for 1.00!

Come on, give it up. What local nursery?

Matt

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 9 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ps...in the interim...I ran out to a local nursery and found 4 gallon perennials for 4 dollars !

Matt

Really not going to share?

Matt

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 10 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 9 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ps...in the interim...I ran out to a local nursery and found 4 gallon perennials for 4 dollars !

Matt

Matt

opppps ! sorry I forgot about this !

Treasured Gardens in Algonac on M29 <---has lotsa small perennials
and Debbie's roadside flowers and veggies between me and county line on M59 <--limited stock

Have fun !

soon Van Thomme will put up better sale prices too. Keep watching !

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yup..thats it. Steve (redtail) saw my post and called me.
Thanks for the help.
but yanno....

Thanks All !

If you just rototill in the grass and not kill it first, you will be "weeding" grass in your beds for a while. Best to remove it or kill it first.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 10 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 10 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 9 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 8 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ps...in the interim...I ran out to a local nursery and found 4 gallon perennials for 4 dollars !

Matt

Matt

opppps ! sorry I forgot about this !

Treasured Gardens in Algonac on M29 <---has lotsa small perennials
and Debbie's roadside flowers and veggies between me and county line on M59 <--limited stock

Have fun !

soon Van Thomme will put up better sale prices too. Keep watching !

See, I thought you just didn't want my wife to have affordable flowers.

She will also go to Van Thommes for sale stuff. Debbie's Veggies on M-29 is also selling off stuff real cheap. Plus she is a nice lady. We got our vegetable plants from her. The bunnies are really enjoying those plants.

Clearance plants and Miracle Grow is the way to go.

Matt

·
Registered
385 Posts
Call united rentals, they had decent rates the last time i looked at getting a tiller and i think you can have them drop it off if I recall correctly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts