Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(searay28 @ Sep 9 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>suburban crop circle

i wonder what the accident rate is compared to a regular stop light ?.

When they're new, it's higher until people get used to them. Many people have problems changing lanes on a straight highway, much less going around a curve while watching for your "exit"!!

In any case, the accidents that do happen are all relatively minor ones, compared to the ones you get at a regular intersection. The worst-case ones are still glancing blows that drive one of the cars into a structure, as opposed to a regular intersection where you get head-on collisions and broadsides, both of which can be fatal at even low speeds.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 9 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(searay28 @ Sep 9 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>suburban crop circle

i wonder what the accident rate is compared to a regular stop light ?.

When they're new, it's higher until people get used to them. Many people have problems changing lanes on a straight highway, much less going around a curve while watching for your "exit"!!

In any case, the accidents that do happen are all relatively minor ones, compared to the ones you get at a regular intersection. The worst-case ones are still glancing blows that drive one of the cars into a structure, as opposed to a regular intersection where you get head-on collisions and broadsides, both of which can be fatal at even low speeds.

Yeah, this is what I have heard. I just remember those lights down at 19 and Romeo Plank were always backed up. Now, I have never had to wait more than a few seconds to go through those intersections. What a novel idea.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(Secret Agent @ Sep 9 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't like them. I go out of my way to avoid them.

That one on Van **** by the Ford plant is nutso during
shift change. Loooook Outttttt

I'm not a big fan of them either, probably because I don't have to drive them often, perhaps it would be different if it was something I drove daily.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Love that one.... It's fun to go through and watch people - so confused...so timid!!!

QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Sep 9 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 9 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
When they're new, it's higher until people get used to them. ...

or when they totally miss the point and they look like this one on the left...

Me and the wife have dubbed it "the figure eight of death"...

·
Registered
610 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Sep 9 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 9 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...

I go through that one a lot, and it is a fuster cluck. I spent a lot of time in Britain and roundabouts work quite well there - even very tiny ones at side street intersections.

But that thing in Brighton. That engineer must have graduated bottom of his class. Actually, it isn't so much the double roundabout as it is the signage and lane lines. Totally impossible to remain in the correct lane. I've witnessed several accidents there, and while it is true they are minor, they still bottle up traffic and cost money.

I've seen elongated roundabouts in Britain that make much more sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(TheParamour @ Sep 9 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Sep 9 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 9 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...

I go through that one a lot, and it is a fuster cluck. I spent a lot of time in Britain and roundabouts work quite well there - even very tiny ones at side street intersections.

But that thing in Brighton. That engineer must have graduated bottom of his class. Actually, it isn't so much the double roundabout as it is the signage and lane lines. Totally impossible to remain in the correct lane. I've witnessed several accidents there, and while it is true they are minor, they still bottle up traffic and cost money.

I've seen elongated roundabouts in Britain that make much more sense.

Wow, that one is a mess. Why didnt they just do one big one instead of the two small ones.

All you have to do is follow the signs. I think the key is just marking them well. In fact over-marking them until people get used to them. Like signs plus arrows on the road itself.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I had the opposite effect in England. Driving on the wrong side of the road, cars coming at you "the wrong way" and driving a diesel passat with the stick and the wheel on the wrong side

I'd rather do complex calculus, and I hate math!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
QUOTE(Secret Agent @ Sep 9 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't like them. I go out of my way to avoid them.

That one on Van **** by the Ford plant is nutso during
shift change. Loooook Outttttt
I agree ... if it was larger maybe it wouldn't seem so intense ... but then people would drive faster so it wouldn't help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.