Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to maptech to see if i could get from the Sni to Anchor Bay. What do you guys think?

The depths stay in the 2-3 ft range, same as listed for the Moot and I still get in and out of there no problem. My observation is that the depth numbers on the maptech charts are about 1.5ft lower than actual.

This yellow route starts at the end of the Sni and ends at the Middle Channel outlet to Anchor Bay.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've come out of the Sni where you're talking about when the water was high and it was tricky as I recall. Even then I was kicking up mud. It is most definitely not a marked channel. I always planned on figuring out how to enter the Sni from the south back then but never did get around to it. Have always entered from the North Channel. Maybe using a GPS and going real slow you might have some luck. Let me know how it turns out.

G

·
That looks about as safe as you can get. If you have a GPS, plot the turn points and make a short route into there.

When the water was higher, I'd just head straight east to near the end of the weed like and make a hard left, always on plane and trimmed out. I'd have to keep a good lookout to the port side to make sure no one was coming out at the time because dropping off plane was not an option. I might be tempted to take your route in...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I grew up around there....and the trick is when you go downstream and out of the sni keep the weeds about 5 foot to your left....thats right....stay close to them and just follow that course. As the water shallows you will be able to see which way to go best on a good weather day. And stay on plane!! I've seen the sheriff boat go thru there...and that one was about a 25 footer with a single outboard.

·
12,052 Posts
I think the end of the sny is too shallow right now. I wouldn't try it (with your boat) From the sny to anchor bay you could do this route through the new baltimore highway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have made the run numerous times in my bass boat, but I draft ALOT shallower than you.

The advice to keep the reeds close to your port side is true...the channel is the deepest there.

Hammers way would be the safest, albeit not the fastest Depending on where youre going in the bay)

Mini

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys,

i made my first run thru the sni last night.

man it was beautiful!! i think i've found a new favorite place on the lake.

i didn't try to cruise out of the south end cause it was late and i was alone. i just turned around and went back out thru the north channel.

i'd like to take my lady out there and anchor overnight. any of guys know a good/safe place to do that? i'd prefer to be out of the channel a bit (obviously) and like it to be kinda scenic. show a screen shot if possible.

I LOVE THE SNI!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
AFTER PASSING THE LAST OF THE WEEDS ON YOUR LEFT IF YOU HEAD AT ABOUT ONE O`CLOCK UNTIL YOU GET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF GOOSE BAY THERE IS A SPOT WHERE THE MIDDLE CHANNEL YACHT CLUB IS THAT IS PERFECT. YOU WILL STILL BE NORTH OF THE MIDDLE CHANNEL. GO OUT THERE DURING THE DAY AND YOU WILL SEE OTHER BOATS THERE WHERE I`M TALKING ABOUT.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
gcalan I can't belive you started this thread - AWESOME!

First of all, last Sat and Sun we went down the Sni (our first time this year) and stopped at the end (?). Then watched as three +25 footers (we have a 24 fott - 3 foot draft) went by us, next to the weeds, dissapeared out of sight for a moment to the left, then reapeared, heading back right, out into the lake, near the "end" of the Middle Channel. I almost went for it, but my brain took over and told me not to. Good to see an adventurous soul out there!!

Here a shot from last Saturday at the point where the Sni "ends". Basically it's where the weed bed ends on the right side so most (myself included) never venture past. The weeds continue on tot he left though. Here you can see what a great place this is. You could almost anchor just to the right of here, in the sand, just past the end of the weeds on the right. The only problem I see is having an anchor pull up and the wind taking you into Goose Bay (or Fisher Bay further). Also, NOWHERE on the Sni is marked with lit buoys so without a bright moon, travle in the Snis VERY dangerous at night.

TAKE A CHART PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! AS ALWAYS!!!!!!!! That day, further up the Sni, we saw a guy get stuck in the mud a few feet away from 25 feet of water depth. He got himself out, but who wants to chance that?? A little later, right where this pic was taken, we saw him putsing out into Lake St. Clair (into 1 foot and less of water, to the right!!!) as we left the area. What a doofus!

Anyhoo, here it is...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Hammer - On Sunday we went back down the Sni and ended up in the Baltimore cut for the first time in a couple years. Went by Poor Man's Yacht Club (cool looking place). Got to the point where it opens up into the Bay and though, "should we?" We (as always) had the chart and checked it out. Without a GPS heading or waypoints marked we decided not to. Motoring back by PMYC a BIG cruiser was heading into the Bay from where we came. I yeled to the captian and asked him if he'd done that route before and he assured me that this is his "usual" way to get from the Sni to The Bay. Since he would be digging me a new channel if he was wrong, we decided to follow in behind him. We got REAL shallow a few times!!! And since we couldn't stay on plane behind him, since he was bigger and slower than us, we got nervous a couple times! However...

Ended up in the North Channel, with NO brown trails behind us, and entered the Channel at the #6 buoy!! A very nice cut!!!! For the adventurous. But PLEASE be careful if you have no chart or are not totally familiar with the area. I could see the waves breaking over the few inches of water on both sides of us at one point, so it's not a place to experiment. Though on our lake, there aren't many places that are suitable for experimenting.

Good luck!!

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(pirlgirl @ Sep 5 2003, 01:52 PM)Hammer, where do you get the chart maps that you can zoom in so good with?
not sure where hammer gets his charts... but i go to www.maptech.com

Maptech - Lake St. Clair

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've entered the Balt. cut to the Sni a couple times this season, the first time real slow, now it's in my GPS but i still go slow til i see the depth increase.

Going tomorrow to PMYC for clam bake!!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(BoatChic @ Sep 5 2003, 01:50 PM)I've entered the Balt. cut to the Sni a couple times this season, the first time real slow, now it's in my GPS but i still go slow til i see the depth increase.

That place next to PMYC looks like blast! Are you a member of PMYC?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That place next to PMYC looks like blast! Are you a member of PMYC? [/quote]
Ahh, yes Fantasy Island is next to PMYC.
I'm not a member, but friends and my cousin are, i've been going there for several years, neat place. i'll add a couple pics to this thread once I size them down

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey, I was at the clambake too!!!
My first time there. What a goodtime we all had.
We were in well #1.
It was a tough choice of that and JN2, but we were all glad that we went and did the clambake for a change and want to return every year. That [Baltimore Cut] is a beautiful spot on the lake. Every direction you look has a magnificant veiw.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts