Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post a pic of the best Route into the Moot? I've got new outdrives on the boat and don't want to "F" them up. At idle, my draft is 3 feet. I would need about 5 feet to come off plane and then start back up again.

With the larger boat, I'm not comfortable driving in unless I can gets some help from others.

Thanks

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Walking around in the moot Friday, the highest the water came up to on me is my waist, which is about 3 1/2 feet.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Snow that's the area you were in. You never walked around the area that people come in at. If you did you would of been run over. The Perfect Fit has the best way. Although maybe Hammer could post of of his "charts" to show you. His boat draws at least that to and he never has a problem.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Watch out for Sand Island. A friend of ours spent the night there Saturday night, since he had no choice.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Jul 8 2003, 08:47 AM)Snow that's the area you were in. You never walked around the area that people come in at. If you did you would of been run over.
Yeah, but I figured he wants to get his boat in there with everyone elses around the gauntlet.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jul 8 2003, 08:56 AM)QUOTE(rerun @ Jul 8 2003, 08:47 AM) Snow that's the area you were in. You never walked around the area that people come in at. If you did you would of been run over.
Yeah, but I figured he wants to get his boat in there with everyone elses around the gauntlet.
He is trying to find out how to get in. Once he's in, the gaunlet is easy to find. You really have to get out there again. Theres alot more to it.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(MrsSunbum @ Jul 8 2003, 09:03 AM)He is trying to find out how to get in. Once he's in, the gaunlet is easy to find. You really have to get out there again. Theres alot more to it.
I know its easy to find, but he was concerned about water depth. Oh nevermind. I'll stay out of this one.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm well aware of Sand Island. Had it marked on my GPS for over 4 years now.

Would be nice to see a map.

I've watched boats head into the Moot and a lot of them take so many diff't ways. Watched one day as a boat seemed to stop very quickly and the captain head out to the swim platform to look at the water....usually by that time it is too late.

Once i'm off plane, I can idle in without any problems.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jul 8 2003, 08:54 AM)Go in at the old channel....it's marked w/red small cans...you'll be between them and the lights......
I disagree. We were up the south channel on Sunday visiting sunbums and chose that route on the way back. Turned in front of the towers (I have done before) from the old channel and on plane my depth dropped to 35". My props were just touching the sand on plane. Talk about nervous!! Mooseknuckle, don't you have a chart plotter with depths? They are very accurate on mine and I just follow the deeper numbers on the way in and get off plane at one 5' area. I idle in about 2 miles further than this point, but better safe than sorry. I'm there almost every week, you can follow me in any time.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
We always read at 5' in there (had 8 last year <_< )...talk to Rich and see...

Where is your B-Day party????? Date & Time??

·
12,052 Posts
Didn't have 8' last year. Lake hasn't dropped 3 feet this year. Ask Jenn or Laney, the props were hitting.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 8 2003, 12:50 PM)Didn't have 8' last year. Lake hasn't dropped 3 feet this year. Ask Jenn or Laney, the props were hitting.
To her, 5 feet seems like 8 feet.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the Sat. Image. You can see the different depts by shade color.

Hammer, how fast past the light house do you go before coming off plane? 2 miles suckes for idle, but if it has to be done, then it must be done. The new outdrives are Bravo 3X's and are pretty expensive.

Don't have a chart plotter, only hand held GPS. Plan on buying one of the new Color GPS's this winter from Garmin with the water charts already built in.

So do you pass on the Gull Island side (east) when entering and how far before coming off plane?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Threecrabs...i've got the same map. Could you edit your jpg with a red line indicate your path. I think it is deeper than 3 feet when you first enter, but I don't have big balls yet to test.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts