Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other weekend we were at a wedding and one of the tables only had 6 people and 10 place settings. I felt bad for the bride and groom, because you still have to pay for people whether they show up or not, so my question is......

Did you know that if you RSVP for a wedding and don't show up, that the Bride & Groom still have to pay for your meal?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes, I know they would still have to pay, so I would make sure they received a really good reason and a card with more than enough to cover it. My .02

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes I knew that, hence the reason for the RSVP. That is beyond rude to do to a couple that you obviously have some sort of relationship or relation with to have been invited to their wedding!

I have recently wished that I declined some weddings however. 4 weddings in 7 weeks. 3 of which are cash bars!

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Yes, I knew that. Thats why we never ask for a setting or a spot to sit. How ever just cuz some guests didnt show doesnt mean the guests didnt send a gift.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
1- cash bar at a wedding blows. i would never do that.

2- yes, i know they still have to pay. i do not rsvp unless i know for sure i will be there. i always send a card with $$, tho, even if i rsvp'd no.

i've been to a couple of my girlfriend's weddings where myself, my date and maybe one other couple are the only ones at the table because others didn't show. i felt terible for the brides.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
yes, if you RSVP and don't show up, you better be putting a check in the mail equal to or greater than the amount that you woulda gave if you had attended

unless it was an emergency, skipping is in very poor taste

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Milord @ Oct 21 2003, 02:29 PM)Yes I knew that, hence the reason for the RSVP. That is beyond rude to do to a couple that you obviously have some sort of relationship or relation with to have been invited to their wedding!

I have recently wished that I declined some weddings however. 4 weddings in 7 weeks. 3 of which are cash bars!

OUCH! Cash bars? Never been to one with that, I don't think I would like it either...

At our wedding, we had 2 people (relatives of my husbands) that rsvp'd then didn't show, never called, no gift sent, I have no idea what happened, but I thought it was hugely rude!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I can't remember if we had any no-shows or not.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
CASH BAR?, uh, i can do that at my local watering whole and I don't need to get the bartender a gift either, (and the entertainment is usually better, AND i don't have to put on the monkey suit!!!)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I think it is very rude. That happened to us with one of my friends and her boyfriend..they RSVP'd to the wedding and ordered the most expensive dish.. well, no show, no call... still after my few messages to her...still no call back! UGH!!! I think that is very rude to do to someone.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
what really sucks is no alcohol receptions !!!! went to one of thoes and didnt know there wasnt going to be any.. and cheese and crackers instead of dinner ,

left reception and went to get something to eat and have a few drinks ..

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Even a no class second-string ham and egger like me knows that this is a major no-no. Think it's unconscionable, without a good reason says "I just don't care as much as you did to invite me"!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Oct 21 2003, 03:39 PM)Even a no class second-string ham and egger like me knows that this is a major no-no. Think it's unconscionable, without a good reason says "I just don't care as much as you did to invite me"!
traveler, don't sell yourself short, your a FIRST class second-string ham and egger!!!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Over here there are often cash bars that are subsidized by the couple that is getting married. Saturday night's was $2 a drink, the one 2 weeks before was full drink prices, next Saturday's is FREE
and I believe the one right after that is a $2 bar as well.

Now what is an acceptable cash gift? Most of the couples over here have a Stag & Doe, which is a big party that is usually $5 - $20 a ticket where everyone drinks, drinks are usually $3, and plays games like blackjack to donate more money to the couple. Then the brides have wedding showers where people give more money and gifts and then the damn weddings. It is quite costly!

Should the gift be different if the bar is free or cash??

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Oct 21 2003, 02:45 PM)QUOTE(traveler @ Oct 21 2003, 03:39 PM) Even a no class second-string ham and egger like me knows that this is a major no-no. Think it's unconscionable, without a good reason says "I just don't care as much as you did to invite me"!
traveler, don't sell yourself short, your a FIRST class second-string ham and egger!!!!

Ohhh yeah well how come I wasn't invited to your wedding? I still haven't gotten over that!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Oct 21 2003, 02:33 PM)QUOTE(Milord @ Oct 21 2003, 02:29 PM) Yes I knew that, hence the reason for the RSVP. That is beyond rude to do to a couple that you obviously have some sort of relationship or relation with to have been invited to their wedding!

OUCH! Cash bars? Never been to one with that, I don't think I would like it either...

At our wedding, we had 2 people (relatives of my husbands) that rsvp'd then didn't show, never called, no gift sent, I have no idea what happened, but I thought it was hugely rude!
I am with you Beth...weddings are costly and take a lot of time to plan. We wanted to invite anyone and everyone but we couldn't. So then you invite people who you consider a very close friend...only to get stiffed.....we had a few of these matters...don't get me started. Getting married confirmed what I already knew...but being the one hosting the wedding confirmed that you just don't screw over the bride and groom. They have put a lot of time, money and energy to have you as a guest at thier wedding

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Oct 21 2003, 03:47 PM)Ohhh yeah well how come I wasn't invited to your wedding? I still haven't gotten over that!
hey, I don't think we even knew you three years ago

but you are definately invited to the Christmas (shameless plug) Party Dec. 20 at out party palace!!!!

PARTY INFO AND CALENDER SITE

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
hey, I don't think we even knew you three years ago

but you are definately invited to the Christmas (shameless plug) Party Dec. 20 at out party palace!!!!

PARTY INFO AND CALENDER SITE [/quote]
Well YEAH, if you wanna get all technical about it!!! Still upset though!!

Oh yeah and I will be at that partay!!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Oct 21 2003, 02:37 PM)what really sucks is no alcohol receptions !!!! went to one of thoes and didnt know there wasnt going to be any.. and cheese and crackers instead of dinner ,

left reception and went to get something to eat and have a few drinks ..
That would really suck...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Always send money to cover even if I replied no...

We only had 2 people reply yes and not show..but there was a death in the family and they more than covered it...they paid for our honeymoon.

Now the ones that get me are the ones who don't show at the church and just come for the dinner and then the gift isn't even enough to cover thier drinks let alone the food. Then they invite people from the another room that have a cash bar to come and drink at the free one the bride and groom are paying for.
<_<

1 - 20 of 36 Posts