Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we were sitting on gull island sat night we seen two vessels run aground just outside gull island.
10pm ish i think, and around 12-1 am ish
They were north west of the buoy's in the south channel, just west of gull island, wondered if anyone was from the board. salvage was out on both vessels, not sure if it was MMS or Boat US.....
HOPE ALL WAS OK WITH THE BOATS.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jun 9 2003, 04:23 PM)Was it off the tip of Seaway Is. or closer to Gull? Not that I have any idea of who it was, just curious...
Closer to gull, straight out, where it is actually onlt 1 ft or so right now.
just north north east of the mouth of the south channel, / breakwall....

G

·
Ouch, that's one of those spots where you definately need to be in the channel. That's got to be a sickening feeling, especially in the dark...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jun 9 2003, 04:28 PM)Ouch, that's one of those spots where you definately need to be in the channel. That's got to be a sickening feeling, especially in the dark...
yeah, for sure !
2 vessels hit in the same spot within 2-2 1/2 hrs
both cruisers, 32-38 footers

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Look at a chart.....it will show the sand bars.......I always stay in the channels when going around Gull! Bummer for who ever hit them........

·
Registered
954 Posts
It was MMS that got both those boats. I was talking to Bill Leslie about them on Sunday Morning.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jun 10 2003, 10:08 AM)It was MMS that got both those boats. I was talking to Bill Leslie about them on Sunday Morning.
It was MM$ that got both those boats.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is the best way to get into Gull? Which direction would least make you run aground? I'll be looking at the charts, but want some experienced views too. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I run north/east out of 9 Mile and Jefferson to about 2 miles from Gull then head more east to hit the channel, stay in the channel until the island is directly off your port side and turn towards island. You can get pretty close on that side.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Jun 10 2003, 12:30 PM)I run north/east out of 9 Mile and Jefferson to about 2 miles from Gull then head more east to hit the channel, stay in the channel until the island is directly off your port side and turn towards island. You can get pretty close on that side.
that works to, or go near the old south channel lights, in the channel.... and cut straight between the point and gull island, you should have 8 - 12 feet of water there, continue well out into the channel, then hard starboard turn back to the islnad coming strait into it from the south side

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Jun 10 2003, 01:30 PM)I run north/east out of 9 Mile and Jefferson to about 2 miles from Gull then head more east to hit the channel, stay in the channel until the island is directly off your port side and turn towards island. You can get pretty close on that side.
Ditto!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts